Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
meaning of "the odd party" and "like cheese, she's always on a board"

Hello,

Could you explain meanings of following sentences from a novel "No, I don't want to join a bookclub"
I can't figure out what " the odd dinner party" and " like cheese, she's always on a board"
mean.

I suppose the odd dinner party can spring a wonderful surprise. And Marion, being somethins of a wonder woman- like cheese, she's always on a board-has been known to produce interesting guests. But generally dinner parties are like the lottery. You rarely win.The problem is first of all there are never enough men,...

(*Marion is a close friend of Mary, the heroin of this novel, and invited her to a dinner party.)

Your adivise would be highly appreciated,

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Re: meaning of "the odd party" and "like cheese, she's always on a board"

Could you explain meanings of following sentences from a novel "No, I don't want to join a bookclub"
I can't figure out what " the odd dinner party" and " like cheese, she's always on a board"
mean.
I suppose the odd dinner party can spring a wonderful surprise. And Marion, being somethins of a wonder woman- like cheese, she's always on a board-has been known to produce interesting guests. But generally dinner parties are like the lottery. You rarely win.The problem is first of all there are never enough men,...

1) "the odd dinner party": this is "odd" in the sense of occasional, infrequent.

2) "like cheese, she's always on a board": a play on words.
At meals the cheese is often presented on a wooden board, a cheeseboard, where it can be cut and served.
Another meaning of "a board" is a group of people who are involved in administering an organization, like a school or corporation, for example.
By saying that Marion is always on a board, it suggests that she knows a lot of interesting people, some of whom turn up at her dinner parties.

not a teacher

chebu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Re: meaning of "the odd party" and "like cheese, she's always on a board"

Dear JMurray