Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Mozambique
Current Location
Mozambique
I am applying for a PhD program for fall 2013 and have to send out an email requesting recomendation letters so I would like to have some one to review this email before I send to my professor.

"Dear Professor XXX,

I hope this email finds you well.

By this e mail, I would like to ask if you would be kind enough, to write recommendation letter for my next application for a PhD program in Strategic Management, focusing my future studies in global strategy in developing economies, as well as, technology and innovation.

While studying at XXX, I enjoyed attending Competition & Strategy classes (Spring 2011). I strongly believe that this class contributed to my development and growth as well as it helped to increase my interest in this field.

I believe that as my teacher you noticed my approach and dedication to academics and that is the reason why I take the liberty to ask for such a recommendation letter.

I am currently applying for admission for fall 2013 and I have selected a universe of six universities to apply.

My first choice is the University of Pittsburgh (Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business), as I have intended to move to the area and it offers a distinguished faculty some of them with research connected with my proposed area of study. Additionally, the university is widely recognized as a top contributor to the research field.

I have included a summary of my academic and professional experience to help you decide whether to recommend me.

Should you decide to give me a recommendation letter, I will send you a draft of my statement of purpose, copies of my transcripts, my resume and any other materials you think would help you in the evaluation process.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
"

Thanks

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am applying for a PhD program for fall 2013 and have to send out an email requesting recomendation letters so I would like to have some one to review this email before I send to my professor.

"Dear Professor XXX,

I hope this email finds you well. (This statement, not unusual as such for some opening statements, has a slight inference that the person might not have been well, and while it is well intended, I don't think it is appropriate for this type of correspondence.)

[STRIKE]By this e mail,[/STRIKE] (Based on the type request you are making, I don't think E-mail is a proper type of correspondence. I would suggest that you submit your request in hard-copy form via your country's hand-delivered mail service, which I would consider more personal) [STRIKE]I would like to ask [/STRIKE] I would be most grateful if you would be kind enough to write a recommendation letter for my next application for a PhD program in Strategic Management. I intend to focus [STRIKE]focusing[/STRIKE] my future studies in global strategy in developing economies, as well as, technology and innovation.

While studying at XXX, I particularly enjoyed [STRIKE]attending[/STRIKE] the Competition & Strategy classes (Spring 2011). I strongly believe that this class contributed to my development and growth as well as [STRIKE] it helped [/STRIKE] to increase my interest in this field.

I believe that, as my [STRIKE]teacher[/STRIKE] instructor, you noticed my approach and dedication to academics and that is the reason why I [STRIKE] take [/STRIKE] am taking the liberty to ask for such a recommendation [STRIKE]letter[/STRIKE].

I am currently applying for admission for fall 2013 and I have selected a universe of six universities at which to apply.

My first choice is the University of Pittsburgh (Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business), as I [STRIKE]have intended [/STRIKE] intend to move to the area and [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the university offers a distinguished faculty some of them [STRIKE]with [/STRIKE] having done research connected with my proposed area of study. Additionally, the university is widely recognized as a top contributor to the research field.

I have included a summary of my academic and professional experience to help you decide on a recommendation. [STRIKE]whether to recommend me[/STRIKE].

Should you decide to [STRIKE]give me [/STRIKE] provide a recommendation letter, I will send you a draft of my statement of purpose, copies of my transcripts, my resume and any other materials you think would help you in the evaluation process. (Why would you provide these documents after he/she decides? Perhaps you should say, "If you need any additional information, transcripts or other documents to help you decide on the recommendation, please let me know".)

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
"

Thanks

Some suggestions. Good luck. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.