• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is it possible?

Is it possible after a person learns from speaking and the spoken word then reading to understand structured sentencing? I have a bad time understanding commas explanation marks verbs and such. But I understand sentence construction better than most. I feel I have a reading comprehension problem with understand words. I love words and structure them according to what seems understanding to me.

With different writers there are different styles. From whatever writers style I am trying to create my own style and be understood at the same time. Could it be my reading comprehension problem could be a handicap to me. How do I overcome this reading problem? Is there a software that not only corrects spelling errors but correct wording? Would that help? pljames

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is it possible?

GV Carey said punctuation was is governed 2/3s by rule and 1/3 by personal taste, so it far from an exact science- many writers have eccentric punctuation. I don't honestly think that making mistakes with commas reduces someone's love for language. My punctuation is, ahem, not perfect.

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    GV Carey said punctuation was is governed 2/3s by rule and 1/3 by personal taste, so it far from an exact science- many writers have eccentric punctuation. I don't honestly think that making mistakes with commas reduces someone's love for language. My punctuation is, ahem, not perfect.
    I have gained the impression from this forum that Americans worry about the finer points of punctuation rather more than we British.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

pljames is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I now believe I was trying to find (my way,voice tone style) of writing. I saw a advertisement about a software product called (Grammar). Since I have a handicap understanding syntax and grammar, I now see with Grammar not only does the software checks correct spelling but also adds present correct words as well. I have tried to use the display on your forum but to no advantage. I thank all of you for your time and patience with me. Can someone explain Grammar to me and how much does it cost? Thank you. Please critique this e-mail.pljames

pljames is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I think about it wouldn't Grammar harm one's (voice tone)? If we write to express ourselves that's why we write? Grammar would write for us and we would lose our expression tone voice? pljames