Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Taiwan,many fans use air horns to cheer their team on. These horns are so loud that they can really hurt your ears. Taiwanese fans often yell "Charge!" in order to excite the baseball players. However, Taiwanese visitors to the United States are often surprised and disappointed by how quiet American baseball fans are. "When I went to a baseball game in San Francisco, everybody was just sitting there watching the game. It was kind of boring," says Barry Lin, a Taiwanese student at the University of California. "Baseball was invented here," Lin says, "but Americans don't seem very (to be) excited about their game."

======================================

This paragraph is from a text called EBS English.
It is said the title is "the differences in baseball fans' behaviors". I got a question here.

I have thought it is possible to use "of" in place of "in" behind "differences", but someone says it is a common error. I'd like to know if I can use "of" in that title, and if I can't, I want to know why.

Another question.

Education goals vary widely with the presidential candidates
Coshocton Tribune-Oct 13, 2012
On the issue of education, there are stark differences of the presidential candidates...

Is it possible to use "in" instead of "of" in the sentence above? I'm somewhat confused.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Apart from the set phrase 'difference of opinion', I'd say the standard collocations are 'difference in' and 'difference between'.

In your examples, I'd use 'in' for the first and 'between' for the second.

Rover

morningtrain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks, Rover_KE. It seemed possible to use 'difference of' in those two sentences , but I came to know what the correct the collocations are due to your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.