Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What are the differences between loft and attic? I tried to find it in the dictionaries, but I didn't see any difference.

Thank you

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
What are the differences between loft and attic? I tried to find it in the dictionaries, but I didn't see any difference.

Thank you.

NOT A TEACHER

Perhaps there isn't any? According to the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English "loft" and "attic" are synonyms, but as you can see, "loft" is used in British English.

Edit. See this previous thread.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lofts are also finished spaces but without a full wall overlooking the floor below. You may have a half-height wall and then essentially a large, open-air "window" to the interior of the house. You wouldn't want a bedroom there, for example, because of limited privacy, but it would be a good space for a comptuer room, TV room, sewing/crafts room, etc.

MartinEnglish

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think this might be another British/American difference - I'm British and to me loft and attic are very nearly synonymous - it's the space under the roof beam usually only accessible by ladder through a trapdoor and where you chuck your suitcases, elephant gun, old dolls and teddy bears etc. "I was up the loft the other day and you'll never guess what I found!"
But I think, for me at any rate, an attic has the possibility of being an attic room - converted into a bedroom etc. which, judging by what has been written above, is not the case in American English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you really have an elephant gun?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An attic can be converted into a living area.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
In Aust/NZ I think most people would go along with MartinEnglish's post, with "attic" being the more common term for the place where we store our kangaroo nets and moa traps.
The exposed, part-storey that Barb describes would usually be called a mezzanine, whether in a house or commercial property.

not a teacher

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the meaning of these terms varies widely from one real estate market to another. In the Toronto market (an extremely hot one) loft is currently used to mean any condo or co-op type apartment in an old industrial building that has been converted to residential use. Attic on the other hand means the space under the roof of a single family home. It might be converted to residential use, but would be low for comfort and far too hot in summer.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here in Toronto, and in much of North America, an attic is enclosed just under the roof, and us usually thought of as storage space we might spend some time in, whereas a loft is an indoor balcony of sorts where we often put an open-concept bedroom that overlooks a living room. Also, a loft can be a large apartment with 15 or 20 foot ceilings which was originally designed as an industrial space but has been converted to an impromptu-looking residential space.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think the meaning of these terms varies widely from one real estate market to another.
I don't think anyone could disagree with that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.