Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hope that I'm putting this message in the correct forum; I couldn't decide which one might be best for my issue.

Surname: Bullard

This name is pronounced two distinctly different ways by two factions of my family. I am writing about the difference for a project. How do I properly convey the different pronunciations in writing, so that anyone reading what I have written will clearly understand the difference?

Most of the family pronounces the name as it has been pronounced historically, which sounds like buhl-urd with stress more on the BUL part of the name than on the -urd or -erd part of it: bull-erd.

A smaller faction of the family has developed another pronunciation, it being more like buh-lard, or maybe boo-lard, with definite stress on the AR part of the name - maybe like it might be pronounced by the French. When I say it like they do, I maybe hear more the sound of bew or boo than buh: bew-LAR-d.

I hope that I am explaining thoroughly enough. I did not expect this to be so difficult for me. I could just use bull-erd and bew-LAR-d, I suppose, but I'd really rather write it out properly, if I can.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In standard British phonemic script, your names would be transcribed;
(Bull-ard -) /ˈbʊlɑ:d/
(Bull-erd -) /ˈbʊləd/
(Boo-lerd -) /bu:ˈlɜ:d/
(Bew-lerd -) /bju:ˈlɜ:d/

Not the little mark like an apostrophe showing tha the following syllable is stressed.

elizabee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you so much, 5jj.

Status
Not open for further replies.