• Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Even you should do it."

ine, but Quirk et al (1985.604) say that focusing subjuncts such as even "candraw attention to part of a sentence as wide as the predication or as narrow as a single costituent of an element ...". It seems to me that it is not unreasonable to use the word modify of way in which even draws attention to you.

'Drawing attention' - a general, daily-use concept - and 'modifiying' - a clearly definable grammatical concept - are not the same. To assert than any adverbial can ever modify any substantive would be to contradict the universally accepted definition of an adverb(ial).

Huddleston and Pullum (2002, 594-5), writing of even in sentences such as Even you would have enjoyed dancing tonight, say "It usually precedes the head it modifies ..." (my emphasis added).[/QUOTE]

I have made clear on a number of previous occasions my thoughts on Messrs. Huddleston and Pullum and their so-called grammar of the English language (although I'm sure that a search would reveal them). This misuse of basic grammatical terminology is sadly typical of this slipshod and misguided handicap to the study of English.

EOC

philo2009 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Interesting idea, but I don't think it functions as an adjective in "Only you can do it". If we were to replace 'Only' by 'sole' or 'solely', it would have to be the latter. "Solely you can do it is", I admit, ugly, but is just about possible; 'Sole you can do it' is not possible. This suggests that 'only' must be in the same class as 'solely'.
    Thank you.
    Three cheers for common sense!

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    I have made clear on a number of previous occasions my thoughts on Messrs. Huddleston and Pullum and their so-called grammar of the English language
    You have indeed.
    This misuse of basic grammatical terminology is sadly typical of this slipshod and misguided handicap to the study of English.
    You mean they put forward ideas and suggestions that don't agree with yours?

Others disgree with your opinion. In his review of 'this monumentally impressive' grammar, Peter Culicover agrees with reviewers who have described it as 'a notable achievement', 'authoritative, interesting', 'one of the most superb works of academic scholarship ever to appear on the English linguistics scene ... a monumental work that offers easily the most comprehensive and thought-provoking treatment of English grammar to date'.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12