[Grammar] if I were in America and there was/were....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
In the sentence If I were in America and there was/were a man doing sth,then..., which verb should be used?

For a present impossible situation, we will say If I were..., but half of my English and American friends will use If I was..., which is not standard, but acceptable nowadays meaning the same thing; I know all the conditonal sentence rules, but they just don't help.
"If I were in America and there was a man..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the sentence If I were in America and there was/were a man doing sth,then..., which verb should be used?

I'd say either. The second situation could be seen as less hypothetical- a fact dependent on the first part.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say "were" for the first and "was" for the second. It is your being in America that is "impossible."

And yes, many natives use "was" for this. They don't know what the "subjunctive" is.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
Thank you. It seems better to use was.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say "were" for the first and "was" for the second. It is your being in America that is "impossible."

And yes, many natives use "was" for this. They don't know what the "subjunctive" is.

With all due respect, can't agree with Dave's reasoning here. Both events here are equally hypothetical (I'm not sure that the term 'impossible' is ever really appropriate in discussions of conditionals...), and there is therefore no more, or less, reason to use the subjunctive for the second than there is for the first.

That said, however, since the past indicative (was) is widely accepted by many native users of English even for counterfactual hypotheticals of this kind, there is clearly no grammatical problem posed by mixing the two forms. Some speakers might, however, object on stylistic grounds.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
Does it mean that in that sentence there were a man.... is also OK?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.