Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
please tell me that what is the importance of English phonology.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, dua ahmed. :hi:
[STRIKE]p[/STRIKE]Please tell me that what is the importance of English phonology.
We could take hundreds of words to answer that fully; here is a short answer. English spelling is a poor guide to how words are pronounced, and there are no firm rules about word stress. Understanding the phonemic symbols and stress marks helps students pronounce new words when they look them up in a dictionary. A knowledge of phonology helps teachers present spoken materials usefully.

dua ahmed

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
thanks 5jj.can u help me in my assingnment my teacher gave me assignment that what is the difference between urdu and english phonology

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks 5jj. Can you help me [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] with my assi[STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]gnment? My teacher gave me an assignment: [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "What is the difference between Urdu and English phonology?"

We do not help with homework or assignments, dua ahmed. You must show your teacher what you know. Your teacher is not interested in what we know.

I assume your assignment will be written, not oral. If so, please ensure that you follow standard procedures of written English:

- Start every new sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark.
- Check your spelling.
- Capitalise all proper nouns (such as Urdu, English, London, Professor Smith).

Status
Not open for further replies.