Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which one do you think is correct? Have you checked a grammar book?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Did you manage to get the ball?
Did you managed to get the ball?

Which do you find ungrammatical?

Also, don't forget to end every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark (full stop, question mark, exclamation mark).

Edit. Cross-posted with emsr2d2.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Which one do you think is correct? Have you checked a grammar book?

How can I check this particular question in a grammar book?

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
NOT A TEACHER

Which do you find ungrammatical?

Also, don't forget to end every sentence with the relevant punctuation mark (full stop, question mark, exclamation mark).

Edit. Cross-posted with emsr2d2.

I am unsure, that is why I am asking in this forum.

I did search in google before posting in this forum.

"did you managed" in quotes has 11,900,000 results in google search
"did you manage" in quotes has 40,900,000 results in google search

I guess "did you manage" is the more popular version that is commonly used or the right one. I want to know if "did you managed" is also correct?

I do try to figure out things by myself but I can't understand what is right and that is why I am posting in this forum, maybe your native language is English, that is why you find that I am asking silly questions. Instead of posting my question back to me, why not just enlighten me by answering my question? Thanks

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I want to know if "did you managed" is also correct?

"did you managed" is ungrammatical. The Google search engine is by no means an authority on the English language. If you use it to check certain structures, use it with caution. Google Books on the other hand is a much more reliable source:

"did you manage" = 549,000 hits
"did you managed" = 1 hit (which is a typo)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Googling something is a way to get a good idea of what might be right or wrong but it can be confusing as you can find many examples of incorrect language on Google.

If you are trying to find information on a grammar structure, Google the actual grammar structure you are having a problem with. For example, I Googled "past tense interrogative" and this was one of the hits: Simple Past in English: English Grammar: How to form and Use the Simple Past for regular and irregular verbs If you scroll down to "Simple Past, Regular Verbs" and then look at the interrogative, you will find your answer.

I do not think your questions are silly at all. However, this forum is not intended to simply supply the correct answers to questions. Are you studying English at formal classes? Are you studying using a textbook?

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Are you studying English at formal classes? Are you studying using a textbook?

I am not studying English now. I did pass my English exams some years ago but I am not fluent in English now because it is not my native language that I use everyday.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not studying English now. I did pass my English exams some years ago but I am not fluent in English now because it is not my native language that I use everyday.

The best way to keep up your English standard then is to read as much as possible as well as listening to the radio and watching films and TV in English. Read good quality newspapers and magazines. The internet is great but there's a lot of terrible English on it. The more you read, watch and listen, the more you will hear the correct use of the language (bearing in mind that films and TV might use slang and other non-standard language).

As far as getting answers to specific grammar problems goes, I'm not asking you not to use this forum for that purpose, simply to spend plenty of time trying to find out/work it out for yourself first. With Google, as I said before, it's better to search for the particular grammar construction by name, not just a string of words. You weren't specifically having a problem with "did you manage/did you managed" - presumably your confusion would have been the same regardless of what verb you were using, ie you would not have known if it was "Did you close/did you closed" or "Did you listen/did you listened" etc. What you had a problem with was the correct construction for asking a question using a past tense. The logical thing to Google was "past tense interrogative".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, I have good news and bad news.

1. First, the bad news: many learners say things such as:

Did you saw the car?
Did Tom ate dinner?

2. Now the good news: You will never make this mistake again if you follow one super easy rule.

a. Simply memorize this sentence: After do/ does/ did, you always (no exceptions!) use the so-called "base form" of the verb.

(That is, when you look in a dictionary, you look for "speak," not "spoke" or "speaking." "Speak" is called the base form.)

b. Thus:

Did you see the car?
Did Tom eat dinner?

Does Mona speak French?

3. It is only my (repeat: my) guess that some learners mistakely use the past tense after "did" because they think:

"Did" is the past tense. So I guess that I need to use the past tense of the verb.

But one should not! (Using the past tense there is one way that other people know that you are not a native speaker! I have heard people who speak English very well but still make that one mistake. They had come to this country as children and learned English, but they were unable to make that rule an automatic part of their speech.)

James

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
This is actually the first time I have heard of this phrase "past tense interrogative". For a non native English speaker, it is actually hard to know what kind of "grammar construction terms" the question is related to. I do hear of other more common terms like "past tense"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is actually the first time I have heard of this phrase "past tense interrogative". For a non native English speaker, it is actually hard to know what kind of "grammar construction terms" the question is related to. I do hear of other more common terms like "past tense"

I'm not claiming that you will find the grammar term "past tense interrogative" in a grammar book. That is not the point. You clearly already know the term "past tense". And now you know (from this thread) that the term usually associated with questions is "interrogative". So if you think about it logically, you simply put those two terms together and enter them into Google.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I have heard people who speak English very well but still make that one mistake.

May I know why "I have heard" is used and not "I had heard"?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello,

And may I gently remind you that the "super easy" rule also applies to negative sentences:

He did not manage to get the ball.

She does not speak French.

James

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I'm not claiming that you will find the grammar term "past tense interrogative" in a grammar book. That is not the point. You clearly already know the term "past tense". And now you know (from this thread) that the term usually associated with questions is "interrogative". So if you think about it logically, you simply put those two terms together and enter them into Google.

This is the first time I understand about the word "interrogative". Sometimes I do "have a problem of asking a problem" because my English is not very good.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

That's a whole different topic altogether and I think it's best to ask unrelated question in a different thread, but the present perfect is the correct tense here.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello,

A teacher could do a better job explaining the difference, but I shall try until a teacher replies. And then I shall delete this post.

I said, "I have heard people who speak English very well make this mistake" because (hopefully) I will continue to be able to

hear people speak in the future. Being 75 years old, I have found that my hearing is getting worse. So if some day, I go

deaf, then it would be appropriate to say, "Back in the days when I had my hearing, I had heard people who speak English

very well make that mistake."

The present perfect refers to something that started in the past but still "touches" my life. So if I see a good movie, I

might say, "Wow! That was the best movie that I have ever seen in my life [up to this time.]" But if I see a movie next week,

I might say, "No, no! Last week's movie was not the best one that I have seen. This one is the best one that I have seen

in my life."

The past perfect might be used like this:

Tom: Is that you?

James: What do you mean?

Tom: I had heard that you died. (Many native speakers would use the past "heard.")

James: No, I have not died yet.

James

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
A teacher could do a better job explaining the difference, but I shall try until a teacher replies. And then I shall delete this post.

Please don't. Your posts are very informative and helpful. You are too modest in my opinion ;-).

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore

Your explanation is very good. Very clear and helpful and easy to understand. Much appreciated. Do not delete.

Last edited:

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

3. It is only my (repeat: my) guess that some learners mistakely use the past tense after "did" because they think:

"Did" is the past tense. So I guess that I need to use the past tense of the verb.

James

My son is a primary student. Most of the time, he uses the so-called "base form" of the verb after 'did'. Sometimes, he uses past tense after 'did' because he forgets to change past tense to "base form".

Status
Not open for further replies.