• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can anyone read the text and tell me wether it's all right or wrong?

So I will correct it and then post it again. Will that be ok?
    Will you be so nice to correct it again?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can anyone read the text and tell me wether it's all right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella91 View Post
    So I will correct it and then post it again. Will that be ok?
    Will you be so nice to correct it again?
    Yes, please try again and post your next attempt. I'm sure I will not be the only person who looks at it!
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Cinderella91 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

So I hope that now it will be better.

The condition of Britain in 1917
    The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becaming desperate. German U-boats (D) were singking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believe that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) were force to sign the treaty and at one point it was looking as though war might break out again.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

So I hope that now it will be better.

The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becaming desperate. German U-boats (D) were singking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were* in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) (missing word) not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they were losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believed that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) were force to sign the treaty and at one point it was looking as though war might break out again.
    That is better but there are still some errors. With the first error, you have the correct tense but the wrong spelling. Check again.
    The second error, which I have marked with an asterisk (*) is a little ambiguous. I think some people would accept "were" but I think there is a better tense. Have a look at the other markings in red too.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becoming desperate. German U-boats (D) were sinking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were* ( you mean her past perfect? So it would be “had been”? in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) were not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they (N) had losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believed that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) forced them to accept a harsh treaty without any choice or even a comment. At first, the new government refused to sign the treaty and at one point it (S) was looking as though war might break out again.

I re-read it and hope that now it will be better...
    I have a lot of problems with the past tenses. I think they are really tricky! Is there maybe a clou how I can better remeber, or understand, or wathever when which tense come?

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

The government also (A) needed to ensure that Britain was fed. Under the Defence of the Realm Act it was able to take over land and turn it over to food production. In Feb. 1917 it (B) set up the Women's Land Army to recruit women as farm workers. By then, however, the food supply in Britain (C) was becoming desperate. German U-boats (D) were sinking one in every four British merchant ships and Britain had only six weeks supply of wheat left. As food supplies (E) ran short so prices (F) rose. Wages (G) hardly rose during the war because people were mostly prepared to sacrifice better pay to support the war effort, but prices were now almost double what they (H) were* ( you mean her past perfect? So it would be “had been”? in 1914. Poorer people could not even afford basics supplies such as bread. Shops (I) were closing early each afternoon as they (J) were running out of goods to sell.

The overall reaction of Germans was horror and outrage. They certainly (K) were not believe they (L) started the war. They (M) were not even thinking they (N) had losing the war. In 1919 many Germans (O) didn’t really understand how bad Germany’s military situation (P) was at the end of the war in 1918. They believed that the German government (Q) simply agreed to a ceasefire, and that therefore Germany should have been at the Paris Peace Conference to negotiate peace. They were angry that their government was not represented at the talks and that the Allies (R) forced them to accept a harsh treaty without any choice or even a comment. At first, the new government refused to sign the treaty and at one point it (S) was looking as though war might break out again.

I re-read it and hope that now it will be better...
    I have a lot of problems with the past tenses. I think they are really tricky! Is there maybe a clue how I can better remember, or understand, or whatever when which tense come?
    There is a problem at (K) and at (N).

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it in (K) past continuous? were not believing they started the war?
    And in (N), too? were losing the war?
    Because both were unfinished actions in the past, or background acticities descriptions?
    Sorry, but as I say, past is just not my tense...
    And can you tell me about (H)??

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it in (K) past continuous? were not believing they started the war?
    And in (N), too? were losing the war?
    Because both were unfinished actions in the past, or background acticities descriptions?
    Sorry, but as I say, past is just not my tense...
    And can you tell me about (H)??
    Why are you so against using the past simple? In a previous attempt at K you put "not believed" and I told you that there was simply one word missing. "Were not believed" does not exist in English. What is the simple past (negative) of "believe"?

With H, "but prices were now almost double what they (H) ....... in 1914", yes, I mean that there is an argument to be made for both "were" and "had been". The correct answer is "had been" because the piece is written now, the first part of the sentence refers to 1917, and then it talks about 1917 specifically compared to 1914. So, it should read "In 1917, prices were [now] almost double what they had been in 1914". However, you will hear "In 1917, prices were almost double what they were in 1914" from a lot of native speakers.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The simple past of believe is believed, isn't it?
    So negativ ist would be not believed. But you said one word are missing..

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

The simple past of believe is believed, isn't it?
    So negative is would be not believed. But you said one word are missing..
    What is the negative of "They believed"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast