metaphor serves the data and not vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. What does "metaphor serves the data and not vice versa." mean?
I can think of a metaphor like "My mind is like a peaceful lake" and does the sentence mean that we shouldn't gather any corrupted data to distort the meaning of a metaphor? Can you take an example?
2. What does "concretizing metaphors" mean?

330-142
ex)Metaphors can be powerful and clever ways of communicating findings. A great deal of meaning can be conveyed in a single phrase with a powerful metaphor. Moreover, developing and using metaphors can be fun, both for the analyst and for the reader. It is important, however, to make sure that the metaphor serves the data and not vice versa.
The creative analyst who finds a powerful metaphor may be tempted to manipulate the data to fit the metaphor. In addition, because metaphors carry implicit connotations, it is important to make sure that the data fit the most prominent of those connotations so that what is communicated is what the analyst wants to communicate. Finally, one must avoid concretizing metaphors and acting as if the world were really the way the metaphor suggests it is.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
… make sure that the metaphor serves the data and not vice versa.
The writer is warning against finding a metaphor that, although it doesn't quite fit the data being communicated, is so vivid and compelling that you are tempted to distort the data so that the metaphor can be employed.

… one must avoid concretizing metaphors.
Don't lose track of the fact that a metaphor is an abstraction, a symbolic illustration, not to be confused with the way the aspect of the real world under discussion actually works.

not a teacher

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If only a person could take a concrete example for his explanation!!! Like "My mind is the universe" or something.
His explanation is excellent, but I can't still grasp it concretly - not tangibly...

Status
Not open for further replies.