Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What's the difference between drug trafficking and narcotics trafficking; Are they the same thing?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What's the difference between drug trafficking and narcotics trafficking; Are they the same thing?
Yes, for practical purposes.There's a lot of confusions about 'drugs', 'narcotics, 'medications', 'pharmaceuticals' etc. Often it's only the context that tells you what is meant.
For example, cocaine, and crack and other stimulants are definitely not narcotics from a medical point of view. "Narcotics" are drugs that put you to sleep.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To add on what Raymott said, they are not only to put you to sleep, but to induce drowsiness or numb the senses. For instance, one does not have to do both to be considered a narcotic. For example, paracetamol. Used to help with pain, but has no sleep inducing properties.

As a general term, narcotics is widely used to define mostly medication, either legal or illegal, while 'drug' is used for that, as well as including alcohol, and in some cases, cigarettes.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
To add on what Raymott said, they are not only to put you to sleep, but to induce drowsiness or numb the senses. For instance, one does not have to do both to be considered a narcotic. For example, paracetamol. Used to help with pain, but has no sleep inducing properties.

As a general term, narcotics is widely used to define mostly medication, either legal or illegal, while 'drug' is used for that, as well as including alcohol, and in some cases, cigarettes.

I always associate narcotics with opiates.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

No, "narcotics" is not a widely used term for legal medications where I live, though in some cases it's a correct term. "Drug" fulfils that function. Alcohol and cigarettes are not usually called "drugs". A narcotic decreases your level of consciousness and has a negative effect on your respiratory drive.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In case you did not know, Raymott is a retired medical practitioner. He therefore knows more about this type of language than most members.

michael147

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, for practical purposes.There's a lot of confusions about 'drugs', 'narcotics, 'medications', 'pharmaceuticals' etc. Often it's only the context that tells you what is meant.
For example, cocaine, and crack and other stimulants are definitely not narcotics from a medical point of view. "Narcotics" are drugs that put you to sleep.

Thank you for your answer. I often use 'drugs' to mean what I mean. I'm confused with 'narcotics' because they often mean the same thing in the context of crimes or preventing crimes or something like that.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In terms of the police and the law, getting busted for "narcotics trafficking" would be the same as "drug trafficking."

All narcotics are drugs, but not all drugs are narcotics.

If the police have a "narcotics" unit, they are also going to arrest people for cocaine and other stimulants, hallucinogenics, etc. The name is an accident of history.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the context of crime, they are often used interchangeably as terms for illegal drugs, but in other contexts, like medical ones, this is not the case. A stimulant like amphetamine may be a narcotic to a police officer, but if a doctor thought the same way, they'd be in trouble.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In case you did not know, Raymott is a retired medical practitioner. He therefore knows more about this type of language than most members.
Yes, that's true. But I was relying more on my experience as an ordinary citizen in saying that "narcotics" is not a widely used term for legal medications in Australia. Is it anywhere else?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, that's true. But I was relying more on my experience as an ordinary citizen in saying that "narcotics" is not a widely used term for legal medications in Australia. Is it anywhere else?
Not in the UK, as far as I know.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was relying more on my experience as an ordinary citizen in saying that "narcotics" is not a widely used term for legal medications in Australia. Is it anywhere else?

Not really- I hear it used more often for illegal drugs. I was prescribed morphine sulphate for a herniated disc and no one said they were giving me a narcotic, despite it being a perfect example. Painkiller was the term used.

They don't use the Brompton Cocktail much nowadays, but I'd love to know what the current description of it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.