Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote a ltter to thank a new friend. Is 'opportunity' more natural than 'chance'? Thank you!
1) Thank you for offering me the chance to participate in the school project.
2) Thank you for offering me the opportunity to participate in the school project.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wrote a letter to thank a new friend. Is 'opportunity' more natural than 'chance'? Thank you!
1) Thank you for offering me the chance to participate in the school project.
2) Thank you for offering me the opportunity to participate in the school project.

I think "chance" is more natural and informal. "Opportunity" would be what I would use when thanking an employer for a job interview or something similar.

Having thought about it a little more, it strikes me that even "Thank you for offering me ..." is quite formal if you're writing to a friend, even if that friend is new.

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If I change "offering" to "giving", is it informal when writing to a new friend? Thank you!
Thank you for giving me the chance to participate in the school project.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I change "offering" to "giving", is it informal when writing to a new friend? Thank you!
Thank you for giving me the chance to participate in the school project.

"Giving me" is also fine. However, I stand by what I said previously - that "Thank you for" and "participate" are quite formal. You need to decide whether your note will be informal or formal.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate in the school project. (Formal)
Thanks for giving me the chance to be part of the school project. (Informal)

Status
Not open for further replies.