Are the highligted words being used correctly in the sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
1) My mom asked me if I have helped her ask/inquire my friend about the status of her application.
2) My mom asked me if I have asked my friend for her about/regarding the status of her applicaton.
3) Did you help me ask your friend whether or not I can join them?
4) Did you ask your friend for me if I can join them?

* Are the above sentences correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) My mom asked me if I have helped her ask/inquire my friend about the status of her application.
2) My mom asked me if I have asked my friend for her about/regarding the status of her applicaton.
3) Did you help me ask your friend whether or not I can join them?
4) Did you ask your friend for me if I can join them?

* Are the above sentences correct?

I don't think I understand 1 and 2. Number 1 definitely has me stumped. Number 2 seems to contain slightly clearer information. Based on those two, my best guess is that you have a friend who works somewhere. Your mom has an application pending at that place. Your mom wants to know if you have asked your friend to check on the progress of your mom's application. Is that correct?

With number 3, "Did you help me ...?" doesn't make sense. The speaker would know whether or not the other person had helped the speaker.

Number 4 is OK if it fits the context.

If numbers 3 and 4 are supposed to relate to the same circumstances then perhaps 3 should be "Did you help me by asking your friend if I can join them?"

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
I don't think I understand 1 and 2. Number 1 definitely has me stumped. Number 2 seems to contain slightly clearer information. Based on those two, my best guess is that you have a friend who works somewhere. Your mom has an application pending at that place. Your mom wants to know if you have asked your friend to check on the progress of your mom's application. Is that correct?

With number 3, "Did you help me ...?" doesn't make sense. The speaker would know whether or not the other person had helped the speaker.

Number 4 is OK if it fits the context.

If numbers 3 and 4 are supposed to relate to the same circumstances then perhaps 3 should be "Did you help me by asking your friend if I can join them?"

Thanks for replying :).

Yes,that is correct. The situation for number 1 and 2 are matches what you think. How should I construct a proper sentence for number 1 and 2?

For number 3, You mean I cannot say "Did you help me ask"? I should say " Did you ask for me" instead?

I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for helping. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For the situation in 3 & 4, I would say "Did you help me by asking your friend if I could join them?" as I said before.
"Did you help me ask ..." means "Did you come with me when I asked something and did you help me while I was asking it?" I can't imagine a situation where that would be necessary.

If I were in a foreign country and I didn't speak the language, I might say to a native speaker "Would/Could/Can you help me ask at the bank about opening an account?" I would be asking for the native speaker's assistance. Afterwards, I might say "Thank you for helping me ask at the bank" but it would be pointless for me to say "Did you help me ask at the bank?" because I would already know the answer. Either the native speaker came with me and helped or he/she didn't.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For the situation in 1 & 2, I would say "My mom asked me if I had been able to help her yet by asking my friend about the status of my mom's application" or perhaps "My mom asked if I had found out the status of her application from my friend yet".

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
For the situation in 3 & 4, I would say "Did you help me by asking your friend if I could join them?" as I said before.
"Did you help me ask ..." means "Did you come with me when I asked something and did you help me while I was asking it?" I can't imagine a situation where that would be necessary.

If I were in a foreign country and I didn't speak the language, I might say to a native speaker "Would/Could/Can you help me ask at the bank about opening an account?" I would be asking for the native speaker's assistance. Afterwards, I might say "Thank you for helping me ask at the bank" but it would be pointless for me to say "Did you help me ask at the bank?" because I would already know the answer. Either the native speaker came with me and helped or he/she didn't.

Thanks for replying and being such a good teacher. What you have posted are very informative and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.