Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
But there was a constraint, and that was should be done that might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing communities.

This is a sentence by a person talking in a film. I can't get what he wants to say

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I don't understand it either. Maybe some more context would help, as there seem to be some obscure references to previous text. And crediting your source would also be a good idea.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, berachah. :hi: Could the words have been: But there was a constraint,and that was that nothing should be done that might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing communities?

majid87

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I am not sure if I am eligible to answer the question since I am not a native English speaker but a student.

However, my curious mind definitely wants to ask you to give us the name of the movie: perhaps we could hear and

confirm your listening of it. :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But there was a constraint, and that was that nothing should be done that might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing communities.

I can't get what he wants to say

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. As 5jj implied, it is just common sense that the words "that nothing" should come after "was."

2. In that case, my reading is as follows:

There was a constraint. (= There was one thing that we had to remember.)

Whatever we decided to do, we could not harm the civil and religious rights of certain communites (groups) in the

country.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.