Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
If we have two things then we use "the other"
-Give me the other glove.
-------------

But if we have more than 2, would it be OK to use "other one" if we need to point out that this thing of a different kind

There are 10 flowers of three kinds.

- I have taken a rose already will you give me other one?

As I understand if we use "another one" here then it means another rose, but we need a flower different from the rose. It means that "another" isn't correct in this case. Would "other one" work?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But if we have more than 2, would it be OK to use "other one" if we need to point out that this thing of a different kind?
No
There are 10 flowers of three kinds.

- I have taken a rose already will you give me other one?

As I understand if we use "another one" here then it means another rose, but we need a flower different from the rose. It means that "another" isn't correct in this case. Would "other one" work?
No. We need to say 'a different flower' to be clear.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Is it because the context is not appropriate or is it because "other one" doesn't work by itself?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's because "the other one" can only refer to one of two things. If you have two things, you have "one thing and the other thing". It doesn't matter what the context is. If you have three, seven, ten, a hundred, or ten thousand things, you pick one of them and then decide that you don't want the one you took, then you will have to say "Give me a different one" or you will have to point to a specific one and say "Give me that one".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you don't care which one you get (as long as it's not a rose, which you already have), you could say "Give me one of the other ones."

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK. I see. Would it be also OK to say: "Give me one other"?

California Prop 32

Give me one other organization that fights for worker's rights.

If it were said: Give me another organization that ... whould it mean an organization which had something in common with the first one?

"Give me another" would be more common in the flower/unspecified item context. Some people would argue that that means "Give me a second one. I want to keep the one I have already chosen and add one to it" whereas "Give me a different one" can mean "I have chosen one and I don't want it. I want to return it and swap it for a different one".

In your example of "one other organization", "Give me another organization ..." would mean the same thing. The only thing it needs to have in common with the first one is already stated in the sentence - it needs to be another organization which fights for workers' rights.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
"Give me another" would be more common in the flower/unspecified item context. Some people would argue that that means "Give me a second one. I want to keep the one I have already chosen and add one to it" whereas "Give me a different one" can mean "I have chosen one and I don't want it. I want to return it and swap it for a different one".

Thank you for elaborating. Now, it's clear. But you haven't mention whether "one other" would work in that "flower context".

Would it be OK to say, besides "Give me a different one", "Give me one there."? I didn't quite get it from your post.

In your example of "one other organization", "Give me another organization ..." would mean the same thing. The only thing it needs to have in common with the first one is already stated in the sentence - it needs to be another organization which fights for workers' rights.
Now I see. However, I don't understand why "one other" is possible here then, if they have something in common, as you mentioned "it needs to be another organization which fights for workers' rights" then why use "one other"? It should be "another". I should think that in real life this distinction may be ignored.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for elaborating. Now, it's clear. But you haven't mention whether "one other" would work in that "flower context".

Would it be OK to say, besides "Give me a different one", "Give me one there."?
"Give me one there" is entirely incorrect. I don't know where you got that from.
"Give me one other" is understandable but I doubt we would use it. As I said, we are more likely to say "Give me another one", "Give me a different one" or perhaps "Give me one more".

Now I see. However, I don't understand why "one other" is possible here then, if they have something in common, as you mentioned "it needs to be another organization which fights for workers' rights" then why use "one other"? It should be "another". I should think that in real life this distinction may be ignored.

They mean the same thing. If you said "Give me one other organisation that fights for workers' rights" then you are specifically only asking for one more example. It almost sounds like a challenge, as if you are saying "I don't think you can even think of one single other organisation which does this".

Remember that "other" doesn't always mean "different". If there is a pile of green books and you take one of them, then you decide that you want one more, you can say to someone "Give me another one" or "Give me one more" or just "Give me another". You will then have two green books. However, the pile of ten books might be ten different colours. If you took the green one and decided you wanted one more book, you would still say "Give me another one" etc. If you wanted one more green book, then you would say "Give me another green book please". The answer would be "There aren't any more green books in the pile. Would you like a different colour?"

See above. I'm not sure I quite understood your queries this time so I hope I have answered them.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't understand why "one other" is possible here then, if they have something in common, as you mentioned "it needs to be another organization which fights for workers' rights" then why use "one other"? It should be "another"
Give me another ... - The speaker thinks there may not be any other organisations.
Give me one other ... The speaker thinks there mat not be even one other organisation. One other is more emphatic than another here.

Status
Not open for further replies.