How many people master English language good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello, I know that in this forum is a lot of good English teachers and as non-native English speaker I want to ask a pretty strange question how many people master English language good? Is it possible to speak in English like native English speaker? Of courses not everyone can speak with English or American accent, I'm asking it because I'm curious.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Many people master the English language, and other languages as well. But mastering a language is one thing and speaking it like a native is quite another. It is, in my opinion, very difficult to speak like a native, but not impossible. Accent is just one aspect of speaking. Speaking like a native also involves the right intonation, a (more or less) vast vocabulary, the correct usage of phrasal verbs and idioms, and some (probably many) other minute aspects/details of speech.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean "How many people master the English language?" If you "master" something, then you do it well. And it's "well" not "good."

I deal with non-native speakers frequently in my work. Most of them are understandable (which is the point of language) and many can converse on a high level. With some I make sure to speak clearly and in simple phrases. With others, I can speak more naturally.

But even the best have accents that mark them as non-native. These aren't a hindrance to conversation, but they exist.

JustAlilBit

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
I want to say one more thing. Of example I understand in English a lot (I can't say that I understand everything, because even though my native language is Lithuanian, but I everyday in the books found unknown words or phrases) only one way to improve English I mean intonation to read, but I hate to read when I found unknown words in the English language. Any advice?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I want to say one more thing. Of example I understand in English a lot (I can't say that I understand everything, because even though my native language is Lithuanian, but I everyday in the books found unknown words or phrases) only one way to improve English I mean intonation to read, but I hate to read when I found unknown words in the English language. Any advice?
I am not quite sure what you are asking. If you are talking about reading aloud from a text in front of you, then this is a skill that many native speakers do not master.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean "How many people master the English language?" If you "master" something, then you do it well. And it's "well" not "good."

I deal with non-native speakers frequently in my work. Most of them are understandable (which is the point of language) and many can converse on a high level. With some I make sure to speak clearly and in simple phrases. With others, I can speak more naturally.

But even the best have accents that mark them as non-native. These aren't a hindrance to conversation, but they exist.

And I would add that there are accents within accents among many native language speakers, but perhaps not noticeable by a non-native language speaker. As an AmE speaker, I can (and I know others can) detect a variety of accents among U.S./AmE speakers (e.g. New York, Southern, Boston, Lake Region etc.,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.