• Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Not much of

Hi everybody and dear teachers

Is it correct to use this idiom in a positive form? but if it's not Ok I'll appreciate your input.

For instance one can say 'I'm not much of a coffee drinker' but is it ok to use this idiom without 'not' and as it's followed:

Example: The people of a very place are into jazz music for real then jazz music is much of a preference to them.

Thanks in advance.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not much of

Quote Originally Posted by faryan View Post
    Hi everybody and dear teachers

Is it correct to use this idiom in a positive form? but if it's not Ok I'll appreciate your input.

For instance one can say 'I'm not much of a coffee drinker' but is it ok to use this idiom without 'not' and as it's followed:

Example: The people of a very place are into jazz music for real then jazz music is much of a preference to them.

Thanks in advance.
    It's not correct to use this in a positive sense; there are other idiomatic expressions commonly used instead. Taking the coffee drinker example, one could say idiomatically:"I'm a big coffee drinker", or "I'm a keen coffee drinker".

The sentence I have highlighted contains some errors. I would put it as: "If the people in [or at] a particular place are keen on [or like] jazz music, then they [obviously] prefer jazz music."
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not much of

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

The sentence I have highlighted contains some errors. I would put it as: "If the people in [or at] a particular place are keen on [or like] jazz music, then they [obviously] prefer jazz music."

Maybe that's what faryan had in mind, but I think the words you highlighted defy interpretation. Your rewritten version is reminiscent of the old playground summary: 'You like that sort of thing if that's the sort of thing you like'; this uses an interesting (and vacuous) use of the word 'if'.

b