Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi everybody and dear teachers

Is it correct to use this idiom in a positive form? but if it's not Ok I'll appreciate your input.

For instance one can say 'I'm not much of a coffee drinker' but is it ok to use this idiom without 'not' and as it's followed:

Example: The people of a very place are into jazz music for real then jazz music is much of a preference to them.

Thanks in advance.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everybody and dear teachers

Is it correct to use this idiom in a positive form? but if it's not Ok I'll appreciate your input.

For instance one can say 'I'm not much of a coffee drinker' but is it ok to use this idiom without 'not' and as it's followed:

Example: The people of a very place are into jazz music for real then jazz music is much of a preference to them.

Thanks in advance.

It's not correct to use this in a positive sense; there are other idiomatic expressions commonly used instead. Taking the coffee drinker example, one could say idiomatically:"I'm a big coffee drinker", or "I'm a keen coffee drinker".

The sentence I have highlighted contains some errors. I would put it as: "If the people in [or at] a particular place are keen on [or like] jazz music, then they [obviously] prefer jazz music."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The sentence I have highlighted contains some errors. I would put it as: "If the people in [or at] a particular place are keen on [or like] jazz music, then they [obviously] prefer jazz music."

Maybe that's what faryan had in mind, but I think the words you highlighted defy interpretation. ;-) Your rewritten version is reminiscent of the old playground summary: 'You like that sort of thing if that's the sort of thing you like'; this uses an interesting (and vacuous) use of the word 'if'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.