Issue: Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future.

Essay:
Immediate problems plague the lives of the citizens every day. Therefore, they need to be addressed on priority. So, I completely agree that governments should focus on solving problems of today. However, will it wise to ignore a foreseen problem? I think not. Instead, countries can be better prepared to tackle problems if they work early towards a solution.

In the most banal grind of every day, individuals tend to predict a problem they possibly will face and formulate a plan of action for assuaging it. For example, suppose I have been regularly running late for work and foresee the possibility of the manager confronting me. To deal with this I will think of excuses to explain myself or avoid the manager whenever possible or stop being late. We buy insurance for our lives and cars against accidents to mitigate the financial loss that might entail such an unfortunate incident. Thus, humans inherently have the capability to envisage a problem and plan a viable defense. Such ability enables us to plan for our protection. Using this ability to our advantage as a country will be a wise decision.

Furthermore, forecasting a problem gives us time to prepare to either alleviate the problem or prevent it entirely from arising. ***Governments can use this time to formulate policies and enact laws to help tackle the foreseen problems. Effective policy making and law enactment is time consuming since it requires assiduous deliberation. Planning in advance is definitely beneficial to deal with the problem rather than scrambling to find a solution in the face of a problem. For example, to satisfy the rising demand for oil, the US government buys oil from middle-ea**stern countries. However, oil is a non-renewable energy source and will exhaust ultimately. Having anticipated this problem, the government invested in research for developing alternative energy resources such as solar energy, wind energy and bio energy. Consequently, we have hybrid cars which run partly on electricity rather than on petrol alone. Despite beginning the efforts early, the US is still struggling to become energy independent.

However, no one can accurately predict the future including the problems we might face. Depending upon changes in situation due to unforeseen events, the foreseen problem we spent time preparing to fight might not arise at all. Hence, the efforts invested in planning and strategizing might be wasted. This uncertainty coupled with the limited time the elected governments have in offices, might tempt the governments to procrastinate tackling anticipated problems. Unfortunately, yielding to such procrastination might leave us with a worse problem to deal with.

In conclusion, solving problems of present day should be the focus of governments. However, keeping an eye on the foreseen problems might help restraining those from gaining gargantuan proportion. Prevention is better than cure.