English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Tenerife
Hi all,

Could anyone here give a clear cut definition between these two terms: Stereotype and Prejudice?
Does any of them lead to the other? or is this the difference in itself: a stereotype leads to prejudice in most scenarios.

Thanks in advance,

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have you checked a dictionary?

A stereotype is a depiction of a group of people, usually of negative attributes. There is usually some basis in fact, but it is not good to assume all members of a group are alike.

A prejudice is a pre-formed judgment on a person or thing. You make a judgment not based on the individual, but on his group. If you believe in stereotypes, then you are likely to form prejudiced opinions against an individual based on his group.

nouamaneer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Tenerife
Yeah, I did. Thanks for your answer. Here is what I found:
Stereotyping:
Stereotypes involve generalizations about the "typical" characteristics of members of the groups. Jane is a female, so she probably has characteristics x, y, z, .......

Prejudice:
attitude toward the members of some group based solely on their membership in that group (can be positive or negative)

Discrimination:
actual positive or negative actions toward the objects of prejudice

Prejudice has both cognitive and affective components.
#Affective component is the positive or negative attitude/feeling towards members of a group.
#Cognitive component contains stereotypes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can believe in stereotypes about people without being prejudiced against them. Apologies for any offence in the next bit but I'm going to use a rather common stereotype in the UK. Many people believe that all blonde girls are not very intelligent, rather ditzy, have no common sense and are generally airheads who are only interested in their looks. Those are, I agree, quite negative things to say about someone. However, even if I believe that stereotype, I might not be remotely prejudiced against them. I might absolutely adore stupid, vain, ditzy blonde girls.

Of course, that particular stereotype is entirely unfair and there are plenty of blonde girls who do not fit the description at all.

It's true that some people might be prejudiced against blondes and their reason for that prejudice might be based on the stereotype, but one does not automatically lead to the other.

nouamaneer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Tenerife
I couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.