Post Thanks / Like

I did the pools...

Hello!!
    Look, I`ve started to read a book of John Fowles (I think that`s the right spelling of his name) and I found some expression and slang I wouldn´t know the meaning of, here they are:
    "I did the pools from the week I was 21"; "I did the same five-bob term" (what does the five-bob term stand for?); "sniggle" and "gormless". Could anyone help me to figure out the meaning?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I did the pools...

Quote Originally Posted by magnitofon11
    Hello!!
    Look, I`ve started to read a book of John Fowles (I think that`s the right spelling of his name) and I found some expression and slang I wouldn´t know the meaning of, here they are:
    "I did the pools from the week I was 21"; "I did the same five-bob term" (what does the five-bob term stand for?); "sniggle" and "gormless". Could anyone help me to figure out the meaning?
    El Gordo (Lottery) only the pools is played with the stats of football games eg. 0 for a draw, 1 for a home win, 2 for an away win. Five -bob refers to five shilling the currency before the change 1971. The term could mean the length of time in which the bets were to be played. I remember even now that the pools man used to come once a week to collects the pools money. Gormless - stupid or dullwitted. You would have to post an example of sniggle - in which context does the word stand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodhouse
    El Gordo (Lottery) only the pools is played with the stats of football games eg. 0 for a draw, 1 for a home win, 2 for an away win. Five -bob refers to five shilling the currency before the change 1971. The term could mean the length of time in which the bets were to be played. I remember even now that the pools man used to come once a week to collects the pools money. Gormless - stupid or dullwitted. You would have to post an example of sniggle - in which context does the word stand
    The word sniggle was used in a phrase which sounded like: "He would sniggle at me and she would giggle." I guess in this case it would stand for mock or insult... Is this a word of many meanings?
    I`ve come up with another question: and "slimy" what does it mean?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Snigger = laugh unkindly or in a negative way
    It sounds like a portmanteau word from snigger + giggle

If someone is gormless, they are stupid and unable to understand things happening around them- stupid and inept.
    Five bob- this is a reference to the old money in the UK- five shillings (20p now), so it refers to how much they spent on the pools.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: I did the pools...

Hello!!
    He started doing the football pools from the age of 21. If he correctly guessed the results of 8 games, he would win the jackpot.
    Doing the five-bob term, means that his stake money each week was five shillings (a bob, being slang for one shilling (pre-decimalisation - in today's money, five pence).
    To sniggle, is to fish for eels (Collins English Dictionary).
    Gormless, is Yorkshire slang for stupid, ie, he seemed to be a bit gormless.

Cheers, Howard

Post Thanks / Like

:-d