Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Nobody sensible will defend the old-style boys’-club regulation of newspapers. Of course, something more vigorous must emerge from the Leveson Inquiry. But I have worked in many countries – not just under authoritarian regimes – where journalists are seduced by the offer of a seat at the top table, or are persuaded not to ask that extra question. “Go easy, we don’t want trouble” could all too easily become the mantra here. Would, I ask myself, this newspaper have had the courage to break the story about MPs’ expenses in the post-Leveson world? I would like to think so, but I’m not sure."

More: The global war on free speech - Telegraph

Does "seduced by the offer of a seat at the top table" mean that authorities in some countries throw dust in reporters' eyes or offering them services, money, and other stuff. As a result, they don’t speak against them?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would opt for the "services, money, and other stuff". In other words, they are being bought off. I'm not sure of what you mean by "throw dust". What would that have to do with the rest of the text? Actually, what does the term mean?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Status
Not open for further replies.