Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    nelson13 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Zhuang
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default She majored in History at Stanford.

    When we regard something as a subject, we use a capital letter to start it:

    She majored in History at Stanford.

    But is it OK to use a small letter h?

    (by the way, is the opposite of CAPITAL LETTER necessarily SMALL LETTER?)

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson13 View Post
    She majored in History at Stanford.

    But is it OK to use a small letter h?
    Yes

    (by the way, is the opposite of CAPITAL LETTER necessarily SMALL LETTER?)
    No. We normally us 'lower-case' letter.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  3. #3
    Chicken Sandwich's Avatar
    Chicken Sandwich is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson13 View Post
    When we regard something as a subject, we use a capital letter to start it:

    She majored in History at Stanford.
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    I believe you're wrong here. "history" is lowercased because it is not derived from a proper noun. See:

    Degree Names from Common Nouns are Lowercased

    Subject names such as "chemistry," "math," and "visual arts" are not capitalized because they don't come from proper nouns.

    (Grammar Girl : When Do You Capitalize Academic Degrees? :: Quick and Dirty Tips )

    In other words, you should write "history" with a lowercase "h"!

  4. #4
    nelson13 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Zhuang
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    I believe you're wrong here. "history" is lowercased because it is not derived from a proper noun. See:

    Degree Names from Common Nouns are Lowercased

    Subject names such as "chemistry," "math," and "visual arts" are not capitalized because they don't come from proper nouns.

    (Grammar Girl : When Do You Capitalize Academic Degrees? :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™)

    In other words, you should write "history" with a lowercase "h"!
    First of all, thank you for your citation and your answer. But there is no need for me to read it.

    major - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

    The sentence has been taken from the dictionary; if you say it is wrong, you are saying this Oxford Dictionary is wrong.
    Last edited by nelson13; 05-Nov-2012 at 22:49.

  5. #5
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Like so many things, this is a matter of style, not grammar. Neither is "wrong" and neither is "right."

    The only that that would be wrong would be to say "He majored in History and she majored in chemistry." Both or neither. Naturally, anything with a proper noun could be capitalized: He majored English.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Like so many things, this is a matter of style, not grammar. Neither is "wrong" and neither is "right."

    The only that that would be wrong would be to say "He majored in History and she majored in chemistry." Both or neither. Naturally, anything with a proper noun could be capitalized: He majored English.
    Not "He majored in English", Barb?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  7. #7
    Chicken Sandwich's Avatar
    Chicken Sandwich is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Netherlands
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson13 View Post
    The sentence has been taken from the dictionary; if you say it is wrong, you are saying this Oxford Dictionary is wrong.
    To be fair though, you didn't credit the source. If you had credited the source of your sentence, I would have given it a second thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Naturally, anything with a proper noun could be capitalized: He majored English.
    Why could? Why not should?

  8. #8
    nelson13 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Zhuang
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Sandwich View Post
    To be fair though, you didn't credit the source. If you had credited the source of your sentence, I would have given it a second thought.



    Why could? Why not should?
    If my sentence caused trouble for you, I would say sorry.

    The important thing is that if there is anyone who thinks my sentence wrong, he should view the sentence in isolation, but not to suddenly think it correct when I tell him I've got the sentence from an authoritative source.

    I appreciate the effort you made to reply to my question, but I must say that before saying a sentence is wrong, one must give it "a million thoughts", but not only a second thought. This is respect. English is not my mother tongue, and even for native English speakers who have doctorates, such as at my university, very often they cannot say whether a sentence is correct. Not because they are not learned, but because English is really a difficult language. I am more than happy to say 'I stand corrected', because someone is improving my English. But before pointing out my fault, people should be more careful.

  9. #9
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Argh. Two mistakes in the same post.
    Definitely IN.
    Definitely should, or even must.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  10. #10
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,069
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: She majored in History at Stanford.

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson13 View Post
    . . . I've got the sentence from an authoritative source.
    An equally authoritative source, the Macmillan Dictionary, gives the example 'She's majoring in physics'.

    Just because you have found one version in one dictionary, you cannot assume that all dictionaries will agree.

    As Barb said 'It's a matter of style, not grammar'.

    Chicken Sandwich's link on the subject is an excellent article. You might have learnt something from it if you had taken the trouble to read it instead of pompously dismissing it.

    Rover
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 06-Nov-2012 at 02:51.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please Review my History Essay!!!!!! (History Major)
    By dengismyman in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2009, 16:47
  2. Major In Or Majored In???
    By WILLIAMJP in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-May-2007, 13:47
  3. The history of O.K.
    By Tone in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2006, 21:53
  4. History
    By Connectingpeople in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-May-2006, 18:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •