Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

"Student: Yes. I had just purchased a cup of tea from the snack vendor in the train when the police officers asked me in a commanding tone to show them my identification. I wanted to know why, but got no real answer, so I refused."

More: Interview with Plaintiff of Racial Profiling Case in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Does asked me in a commanding tone mean that the police officers misused power or behaved as if they were masters?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"Student: Yes. I had just purchased a cup of tea from the snack vendor in the train when the police officers asked me in a commanding tone to show them my identification. I wanted to know why, but got no real answer, so I refused."

More: Interview with Plaintiff of Racial Profiling Case in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Does asked me in a commanding tone mean that the police officers misused power or behaved as if they were masters?

No. It means they sounded stern/expressed authority. It should not be confused with domineering/superior.

Although honestly, it is strange they 'asked in a commanding tone'. Usually if you speak in a commanding tone, it's not a request, but more of an order that doesn't broach objection.

To me, it would've sounded better if a more emotional word was used. Such as 'demanded' or 'requested'. Those coupled with the 'commanding' tone would provide better depth. But using 'asked' leaves it open to rejection.

Just my thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.