Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"She stayed home from church that Sunday, waiting for him. He never showed up and that's been a year ago."

"I do nt remember there being the first disc all I can tell you, I mean, -- and I swore to tell you the truth. I mean, its been a long time ago, its a confusing time."

Is it OK to use the Present Perfect here?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not really. The speakers are probably running together the ideas of "It's been a long time" and "It was a long time ago".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"She stayed home from church that Sunday, waiting for him. He never showed up and that's been a year ago."

"I do nt remember there being the first disc all I can tell you, I mean, -- and I swore to tell you the truth. I mean, its been a long time ago, its a confusing time."

Is it OK to use the Present Perfect here?

In the first one it should be "that was a year ago". In the second it's OK without "ago".

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It should be. But that's what I've pulled up from COCAE. Would the speakers use the present perfect on purpose?

Would there be a difference between "It's been a long time/year ago" and "It was ........."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It should be. But that's what I've pulled up from COCAE. Would the speakers use the present perfect on purpose?
I imagine that they probably sat around in dark cellars plotting how they would spring this on an unsuspecting public. I would like to put it on record that I admire their courage,

Status
Not open for further replies.