Any adjective for a person who 'bears a grudge' against others, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could anyone please give me any word describing such a person? Does 'grudgie' exist in BrE?! :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Could anyone please give me any word describing such a person? Does 'grudgie' exist in BrE?! :)

"Grudgie" definitely does not exist.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

You could possibly use 'vindictive'. But would largely depend on context.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Consider resentful and embittered.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What about 'grumpy'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What about 'grumpy'?

Sorry, Esgaleth, but grumpy doesn't come close.

Please state that you are not a teacher when attempting to answer questions.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, Esgaleth, but grumpy doesn't come close.

:up: ... though when I saw the term 'grudgie' in the OP I wondered if they had misheard 'grouchy' - which is used in some informal situations (but, like 'grumpy', it isn't appropriate). I also wondered if they had coined 'grudgee' - wrong in so many ways!

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: ... though when I saw the term 'grudgie' in the OP I wondered if they had misheard 'grouchy' - which is used in some informal situations (but, like 'grumpy', it isn't appropriate). I also wondered if they had coined 'grudgee' - wrong in so many ways!

b

I also wondered about "grudgee" but then realised that would be the person on the other end of the grudge. The person holding the grudge would be the "grudger" or "grudgor" surely!

But as you say, none of those words exist anyway.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I also wondered about "grudgee" but then realised that would be the person on the other end of the grudge. The person holding the grudge would be the "grudger" or "grudgor" surely!

It's a pity: "grudger" I find descriptive and easy to remember (like "shooter", "biker", etc.) And don't call me Shirley! :lol:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Aha ;-). An employee is someone who is employed, a payee is someone who is paid: no problem -something's done to him. That fits in with the French 'past participle passive', ending -é[e] (for -er verbs).

However certain French verbs, such as s'échapper, take être rather than avoir, and the participle agrees with the subject. An escapee has escaped; a refugee has fled.... The word 'refugee' came over with the Huguenots; I'm not sure about 'escapee; (or maybe it's the other way round - I forget;-))

These two (and maybe others, hence the "...") muddied the waters, so that you can't depend on an '-ee' being on the receiving end of something. Other '-ee' words further muddy the waters, as the '-ee' is not attached to a verb: a bargee is on the end of something - a bargepole ;-) - but not on the receiving end. Today, much to the distaste of some of us, people use words like retiree and attendee, and coin similar words will nilly.

But as you say, this probably isn't worth worrying about.

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.