Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've always thought "accident" is something unintended such as "car accident", while "incident" is something intended such as "homocide incident". What do you think?

viettran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
United States
I don't think so. While it's true that accident is unintentional, incident refers to a particular happenin. I may or may not happen by chance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think so. While it's true that an accident is unintentional, an incident refers to a particular happening. It may or may not happen by chance.

viettran, please remember to state that you are not a teacher at the beginning of each post.

Basically, an accident can also be an incident. An incident might refer to an accident.

The M25 motorway is closed tonight after a serious incident - at 9pm there was an accident involving 23 cars.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
An 'incident' is more so the event that occurs, while an 'accident' is a very basic description of the event.

The definition of 'incident' is: An event or occurrence.
The definition of 'accident' is: An unfortunate incident (or event) that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, it seems "incident" is a general term, whether it's intentional or unintentional, while "accident" is unitentional. My idea has been wrong.
So for intentional ones like a homicide completely planned and intended by a killer, can we just say "The homicide was an intentional incident"?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Okay, it seems "incident" is a general term, whether it's intentional or unintentional, while "accident" is unitentional. My idea has been wrong.
So for intentional ones like a homicide completely planned and intended by a killer, can we just say "The homicide was an intentional incident"?

The word homicide itself implies intentional. So with your sentence, it becomes redundant.

The definition of 'homicide' is: The deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a natural sentence for me. You could say that a killing was intentional, but adding incident doesn't improve things IMO.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Exactly. If a dead body is found, the "homicide" unit investigates. That doesn't mean someone will be charged with murder or manslaughter.

On the other hand, I could by my negligence kill someone with my car and though intent was lacking, I could still be charged with vehicular homicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.