Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    carla guaraldi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default which is correct?

    Hi everybody, can you tell which of the three is correct, please? thank you'for when we
    want to investigate man's faculty to produce symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'

    'for when we
    want to investigate man's faculty for producing symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'

    'for when we
    want to investigate man's faculty of producing symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    Hi everybody, can you tell which of the three is correct, please? thank you'for when we
    want to investigate man's faculty to produce symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'

    'for when we
    want to investigate man's faculty for producing symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'

    'for when we
    want to investigate man's faculty of producing symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'
    When we want to investigate man's capacity for producing symbols, dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material for this purpose.
    For the purpose of investigating man's capacity for producing symbols, dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material.

    I'm not sure what the initial 'for means in your examples.

  3. #3
    nelson13 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Zhuang
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    1. A meeting was called for the purpose of appointing a new treasurer.
    2. For the purposes of this study, the three groups have been combined.

    Could anyone tell me the difference between using an 's' and not?

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by nelson13 View Post
    1. A meeting was called for the purpose of appointing a new treasurer.
    2. For the purposes of this study, the three groups have been combined.

    Could anyone tell me the difference between using an 's' and not?

    Appointing a new treasure is just one thing, so the meeting only had one purpose.
    The study probably has more than one goal, therefore it has several purposes.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  5. #5
    carla guaraldi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    Hi Raymott,

    So far, I have been sketching some of the principles on

    which I approached the problem of dreams, for when we want to investigate man's faculty to produce symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'


  6. #6
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by carla guaraldi View Post
    Hi Raymott,

    So far, I have been sketching some of the principles on

    which I approached the problem of dreams, for when we want to investigate man's faculty to produce symbols,
    dreams prove to be the most basic and accessible material
    for this purpose'

    Why are you using such a tiny font and inserting new lines in odd places? Are you writing a poem?

  7. #7
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    Please use a bigger font. I actually can't read your posts on my phone.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  8. #8
    carla guaraldi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    No, I am just reading a book and had some doubts.

  9. #9
    carla guaraldi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: which is correct?

    I am not inserting new lines by chance, just wrote the whole paragraph, because Raymott said he was
    not sure what the initial 'for meant in my examples.

Similar Threads

  1. Is tense correct and are words correct/needed?
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2009, 16:50
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jun-2009, 03:06
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2008, 13:09
  4. Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2006, 18:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •