Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I realize everybody is tired of explaining me all these things about "I want it back". I'm sorry I really don't get why "I want it to be back" is wrong. It seems to me that my clause is grammatically right, isn't it?

Returning to the example with lost dog.
Can I say "I want him to come back to me"?
Yes, although that suggests that you want him to return of his own volition. You are hoping that he is out on the streets somewhere and that one day he will choose to walk back to your house.
"I want him back" simply means "I want to have him in my possession again".

I'm afraid I can't think of any other way of explaining why it's "I want it back", and that "I want it to be back" is wrong.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please, could you give me an example where it was possible to say "I want it to be back".

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I think (repeat: think) that this example might work.

Here in the United States, we have something called Daylight Saving Time -- when we turn our clocks ahead one hour in the Spring.

Then later in the Fall, we turn the clocks back one hour to Standard Time (as we did last Sunday).

Here's my dialogue:

Tom: Well, Daylight Saving Time is now gone.

Mona: I know.

Tom: Why are you looking so sad?

Mona: Because I want it [Daylight Saving Time] to be back as soon as possible." ( = I want it to return)

Tom: Sorry, Mona, but you will have to wait until Spring, 2013.

James

Mr.Lucky_One

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I understand that if I say "I want him to come back to me" I will expect that he will come back to me on his own will.
And in the case of a book I can't say "I want it to come back to me" cause book isn't alive. I have got to say "I want it to be returned to me".

But can I say "I want him to come back" instead of "I want him to come back to me" without changing the meaning of the clause?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The idea's similar, so there's no important difference of meaning if your talking about you and your dog. There could be other contexts where you want someone to come back but not to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.