Student or Learner
Native Language
Icelandic
Home Country
Iceland
Current Location
Iceland
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_President_of_the_United_States
"Prior to ratification of the Twenty-fifth Amendment in 1967, no provision existed for filling a vacancy in the office of Vice President. "

"Vacancy" means an open position. "Office" means a "position", in a fancy way. So the original example kind of translates to:

"Prior to ratification of the Twenty-fifth Amendment in 1967, no provision existed for filling an open position in the position of Vice President. "

So, it is a position within another position? Am I wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_President_of_the_United_States
"Prior to ratification of the Twenty-fifth Amendment in 1967, no provision existed for filling a vacancy in the office of Vice President. "

"Vacancy" means an open position. "Office" means a "position", in a fancy way. So the original example kind of translates to:

"Prior to ratification of the Twenty-fifth Amendment in 1967, no provision existed for filling an open position in the position of Vice President. "

So, it is a position within another position? Am I wrong?

That's a good question. I don't know if it means a vacancy such as needing a cleaner or a secretary for the office (or department) of the Vice President, or if it literally means there was no provision for filling the Vice President's job (ie if the VP dies or resigns).

mobydick

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Icelandic
Home Country
Iceland
Current Location
Iceland
So, it is poorly written?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not necessarily. I'm not American. It may be that our AmE speakers understand the terminology of their government better than I do.

mobydick

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Icelandic
Home Country
Iceland
Current Location
Iceland
How about this:

"A vacancy in the position of elected alumnus member prior to the expiration of a term shall be filled for the remainder of the term in the same manner as elections to full terms. "

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A "vacancy" means an opening, an emptiness.

This is talking about when the position of Vice President is unfilled (due to death or resignation).

I really have no difficulty reading this sentence.

Vacancy | Define Vacancy at Dictionary.com

"An open position" is definition 4. It seems to me that this sense of the word developed from shorthand. "A vacancy in the position of blank" simply became known in BrE as "a vacancy." We don't use the word that way in my experience in AmE.

Hotels/motels in America have signs which can read "vacancy" or "no vacancy." That's the common use of the word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A "vacancy" means an opening, an emptiness.

This is talking about when the position of Vice President is unfilled (due to death or resignation).

I really have no difficulty reading this sentence.

Vacancy | Define Vacancy at Dictionary.com

"An open position" is definition 4. It seems to me that this sense of the word developed from shorthand. "A vacancy in the position of blank" simply became known in BrE as "a vacancy." We don't use the word that way in my experience in AmE.

Hotels/motels in America have signs which can read "vacancy" or "no vacancy." That's the common use of the word.

If someone looking for work walks into a diner or a bar and wants to know if there is any work available, what would they ask? I've seen the sign "Hiring Now" in the windows of businesses in the US, so could you ask "Are you hiring at the moment?"

In the UK, you can simply say "Do you have any [job] vacancies at the moment?" Admittedly, there would be ambiguity if they went to the reception desk in a hotel with the same question because it could mean "Do you have any empty rooms?" or "Do you have any job openings?"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes "Are you hiring now?" is OK. Or "Do you need any help?" or even "I'm looking for a job." "Help Wanted" is the most common sign that a business would place if it was looking to hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.