Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In my mother tongue, we can say, "My life is happy.", "Life is lonely." and "Life is alone." But I have never seen and heard native English speakers say any sentences of the same structure. So the sentences above are wrong in grammar, you think? Thank you so much as always and have a good day.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
In my mother tongue, we can say, "My life is happy.", "Life is lonely." and "Life is alone." But I have never seen and heard native English speakers say any sentences of the same structure. So the sentences above are wrong in grammar, you think? Thank you so much as always and have a good day.

The red words are OK. I am no native speaker. Let's call on Mr George Orwell to answer your question.

In Burmese Days, there is a sentence:

“Does it mean nothing to you when I say that I love you? I don't believe you've ever realized what it is that I want from you. If you like, I'd marry you and promise never even touch you with my finger. I wouldn't mind even that, so long as you were with me. But I can't go on with my life alone, always alone. Can't you bring yourself ever to forgive me?”

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it depends on the adjective rather than the grammar- I see nothing wrong with my life is sad/good.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Let's call on Mr George Orwell to answer your question. [...] But I can't go on with my life alone, always alone.
That's a different construction from the one sky asked about.

nelson13

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Zhuang
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Japan
That's a different construction from the one sky asked about.

Yes. It can be different.

It can mean WITH MY LIFE ONLY.

But when I was thinking whether it was suitable, I thought it could be interpreted in the way I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.