Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In Boston, where his campaign was based, Mr Romney congratulated the president and said he and Mr Ryan had "left everything on the field" and had given their all in the campaign.

What does "left everything on the field" mean?

Thanks!

JY

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In Boston, where his campaign was based, Mr Romney congratulated the president and said he and Mr Ryan had "left everything on the field" and had given their all in the campaign.

Thanks!

JY

I think it means no hard feelings. But I'm unsure.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They gave it their all. It's a sports metaphor. If you leave it all out on the field, then you have tried as hard as you can. You have no energy or strength left after the game is over because you left it all out there on the field.

Finaweb

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks!

JY

It is a sporting reference and he may be recalling Vince Lombardi, the famous coach of the Green Bay Packers who said "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.