Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you tell me how this game works, especially the underlined? "to get five beans" or "to get five numbers"? Who wins?

mo1-41
ex)In 1929, toy salesman Edwin Lowe, on his way to Jacksonville, Florida, stopped at a local festival. He found one tent full of people seated at tables with numbered cards and piles of beans in front of them. As a man called out numbers, players put beans on their cards. The first to get five in a row stood up and shouted, “Beano!” and won a doll as a prize. Upon returning home, Lowe played Beano with his daughters. One of his daughters made her declaration of winning with “Bean-go!” From then on, Edwin Lowe, who helped popularize the game, called it “Bingo.”

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, I can roughly understand the rule of the game thanks to the link. And what do you think “Beano!” implies? Just an exclamation meaning "something was achieved by beans?"

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe they used small beans to mark the numbers on the cards. So, yes, "beano!" was just an exclamation based on having a winning combination of 5 beans in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.