Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A friend of mine was in Morocco a few years ago. If I want to ask her how big was the period she spent there, which question from the following two should I use?

How long have you been studying in Morocco?
I'd choose this one, because this is the question I was taught we use when we generally asking how long sth lasted.

How long were you studying in Morocco?
The reason for choosing this one is simple: she was there, and is no longer there - past; therefore - past tense.

Do we still use present perfect progressive for asking how long was the period of the action even when the action is finished?

Thank you :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A friend of mine was in Morocco a few years ago. If I want to ask her how big was the period she spent there, which question from the following two should I use?

How long have you been studying in Morocco?
I'd choose this one, because this is the question I was taught we use when we generally asking how long sth lasted.

How long were you studying in Morocco?
The reason for choosing this one is simple: she was there, and is no longer there - past; therefore - past tense.

Do we still use present perfect progressive for asking how long was the period of the action even when the action is finished?

Thank you :)

"How long have you been studying in Morocco?" If the period of study finished some years ago, this is wrong. This is only appropriate if she is still studying in Morocco.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "How long did you study for in Morocco?" but "How long were you studying in Morocco?" is OK.

tom3m

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How long did you study for in Morocco?

Why do we use the word 'for'? Wouldn't the sentence be correct even without it? :)

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.