Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    Odessa Dawn is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    "unknown-and ... for-is ..."



    “What remains unknown-and may never fully be accounted for-is how much money secretive ‘shadow money’ organizations spent, with some investing massive sums on ads, but also on unreported and purportedly ‘non-political’ activities, as the election neared. It may take years to determine how much they spent.”
    More: PressTV - US election costs taxpayers $6bn

    Why do we have hyphens in the underlined parts?

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "unknown-and ... for-is ..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post


    “What remains unknown-and may never fully be accounted for-is how much money secretive ‘shadow money’ organizations spent, with some investing massive sums on ads, but also on unreported and purportedly ‘non-political’ activities, as the election neared. It may take years to determine how much they spent.”
    More: PressTV - US election costs taxpayers $6bn

    Why do we have hyphens in the underlined parts?
    I imagine there should be spaces before and after each one, making punctuation dashes. I don't like them, I would have used commas.

  3. #3
    Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    Odessa Dawn is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "unknown-and ... for-is ..."

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I imagine there should be spaces before and after each one, making punctuation dashes. I don't like them, I would have used commas.
    Thank you, bhaisahab, so very much. I think you mean that commas should be used in this way?

    “What remainsunknown, and may never fully be accounted for, is how much money ...

  4. #4
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "unknown-and ... for-is ..."

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    Thank you, bhaisahab, so very much. I think you mean that commas should be used in this way?

    “What remains unknown, and may never fully be accounted for, is how much money ...
    Yes.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2012, 05:23
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 20:53
  3. [Essay] Poetry Device Essay - W.H Auden's "The Unknown Citizen"
    By btraill in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-Nov-2009, 17:54
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 09:27
  5. "anonymous" vs "unknown"
    By englishstudent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2006, 18:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •