Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hi!

Is there any good quotes that means life is unpredictable. If not, what does "at its best, life is unpredictable."!

Thanks

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!

Are there any good quotes that mean life is unpredictable. If not, what does "at its best, life is unpredictable."!

Thanks

Your second sentence above is meaningless as it stands. Have you missed out a word?

ladyTL

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
oh Im sorry, I mean what does "at its best, life is unpredictable." mean?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, I'm sorry. I mean, what does "at its best, life is unpredictable." mean?

Without seeing more of the context, it's difficult to be sure what the author had in mind, but I would guess that he [or she] meant one of two things.
Either he meant that life would be very boring if the same things happened every day, and there were no surprises. So the best quality of life is experienced when one does not know what is going to happen in the immediate future.
Alternatively, on a more pessimistic note, the author may have considered that life was a series of major catastrophic changes which continually surprised and unsettled him. The best that one could hope for was that the future was merely unpredictable.

I would favour the first interpretation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without seeing more of the context, it's difficult to be sure what the author had in mind, but I would guess that he [or she] meant one of two things.
Either he meant that life would be very boring if the same things happened every day, and there were no surprises. So the best quality of life is experienced when one does not know what is going to happen in the immediate future.
Alternatively, on a more pessimistic note, the author may have considered that life was a series of major catastrophic changes which continually surprised and unsettled him. The best that one could hope for was that the future was merely unpredictable.

I would favour the first interpretation.

And I would favour the second interpretation. It sounds like a pessimistic statement to me, not overly so, but it certainly smacks of "That's really the best we can hope for and nothing more".

Sanjay09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not an English teacher but I am a voracious reader and have writing as my hobby. To say 'Life is unpredictable' in other words I would suggest phrase "There always lies Uncertainty in Certainty". It depends on in which context you want your reader or listener to understand.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But how does certainty convey the idea of life clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.