Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What are the intensive and extensive classes ?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Code:
What are the intensive and extensive classes ?

'Intensive' classes would be 'vigorous' or 'thorough' classes.

While

'Extensive' classes would include 'vast' or 'in depth' knowledge related to the learning outcome.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you were talking about "classes" meaning "lessons", then you do not need the definite article in your question. It should have read "What are intensive and extensive classes?" or "What is the difference between intensive and extensive classes?" You would still have been asked to provide context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Intensive' classes would be 'vigorous' or 'thorough' classes.

While 'Extensive' classes would include 'vast' or 'in depth' knowledge related to the learning outcome.
I don't think so. I have not actually encountered the expressions in over forty years of teaching spread across nine countries. 'Intensive courses' are those that try to make maximum progress in minimum time; they usually involve several hours of learning every day rather than the standard couple of hours once or twice a week.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree. In the UK, you can go on an intensive driving course in order to get your driving licence. You spend one week at a residential facility and you have up to 8 hours theory and practical driving lessons every day. It starts on Monday and ends on Friday with your driving test. It's a good alternative to having one one-hour lesson a week for most of a year.

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you.
I meant lessons.

I'm reading an ESP (English for specific purposes) book. I faced these two phrases in that book.

If we consider that in an academic or business situation, Can we say in intensive courses the learners devote their time in only one subject e. g. English
but in extensive courses they study e.g English together with other subjects?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If we consider that in an academic or business situation, Can we say in intensive courses the learners devote their time in only one subject e. g. English
Not necessarily.
but in extensive courses they study e.g English together with other subjects?
We don't know. As I said before, I have not heard of an extensive course. Can you give us the paragraph in which it is mentioned?

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
During an intensive ESP course the learners’ time totally committed to that ESP course. In contrast, an
extensive ESP course occupies only small part of a student’s timetable or a professional person’s work schedule.
ESP course, both EOP and EAP, are frequently intensive. Companies send their managers, secretaries or technicians on short intensive courses in the expectation that an exclusive concentration on certain skills for the period of the course will enhance their perfomance in activities that require English. English intensive EAP pre-study courses are very common in English-medium situations before subject courses.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
During an intensive ESP course the learners’ time totally committed to that ESP course. In contrast, an
extensive ESP course occupies only small part of a student’s timetable or a professional person’s work schedule.
ESP course, both EOP and EAP, are frequently intensive. Companies send their managers, secretaries or technicians on short intensive courses in the expectation that an exclusive concentration on certain skills for the period of the course will enhance their perfomance in activities that require English. English intensive EAP pre-study courses are very common in English-medium situations before subject courses.
Well, there are several basic errors in that, so I don't have any confidence in it as something we can use to claim that any lexis or grammar is natural English. Where did you find it?

Quadrilinguist

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
'Intensive courses' are those that try to make maximum progress in minimum time; they usually involve several hours of learning every day rather than the standard couple of hours once or twice a week.

Yes, this is what it is. I took an intensive Spanish course in Mexico in 2000. I was in a learning situation with a teacher and other students 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks. And then I spent the rest of the day learning the language by talking to my host family, buying things at the store, etc. I learned a whole lot more in that 4-week intensive course than I would have back home in a 12-week extensive course with only 3-6 hours of language teaching/learning and practice per week.

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry. It typed some parts of the paragraph wrongly (I wonder if my sentence is correct or not!.)

It is part of the book "Developments in English for Specific Purposes"

During an intensive ESP course the learners’ time is totally committed to that ESP course. In contrast, an

ESP courses, both EOP and EAP, are frequently intensive. Companies send their managers, secretaries or technicians on short intensive courses in the expectation that an exclusive concentration on certain skills or languge for the period of the course will greately enhance their perfomance in activities that require English. English intensive EAP pre-study courses are very common in English-medium situations.

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
you mean in an extensive course one studies a course in a longer period of time. Am I right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
you mean in an extensive course one studies a course in a longer period of time. Am I right?
I have no clear idea of what this sentence is supposed to mean:

In contrast, an extensive ESP course occupies only small part of a student’s timetable or a professional person’s work schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.