Definite article vs no article with a specific example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelerobo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm trying to explain why the two examples below use the definite article and no article specifically.

A garden gnome was stolen and taken around the world. The owner of the garden gnome received a letter with a photo of the gnome in France. 1) THE letters continued every day for a month, with 2) (no article) photographs of the gnome in different parts of the world.

Can we alternate 1) or 2) with either the definite article or no article? I understand we can use the definite article to refer to introduced nouns and for specific plural nouns within a greater group. But I'd like to understand how the no article in 1) and the definite article in 2) would work here. Thank you.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I think that in #1 we can use zero article before "letters". "Letters" would refer to letters in general, not some specific letters. I wouldn't use an article before "photographs".

My $0.02.

Last edited:

skelerobo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the reply. I thought that the article before "letters" would be more appropriate for the reason you already have given. I guess the use of the article in the second second example really depends on how much emphasis the speaker wants to give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.