Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
When you convert like this, if some identity is long-lasting, can it be either 1 or 2? Or is only 2 possible?

gz144
I was proud of being Korean
=>1. I was proud that I am Korean.
2. I was proud that I was Korean.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In general, either may be used. There may be circumstances when only one is correct, such as if you were proud of being "X" then, but are no longer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I was proud" certainly suggests that you are no longer proud of that particular aspect.

I used to be proud that I am British but now I am embarrassed by it.
I was proud that I'm British until the Brits started to get such a bad name for themselves abroad.

I would be much more likely to say "I am/used to be/was proud to be British ..."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you're referring to a particular time or occasion that made you feel this way, you could use I felt proud to be Korean when xxxx happened, or xxxx made me proud to be Korean. I heard these used about the Olympics this summer- they don't mean you're not proud at other times, but there was a peak. Psy has possibly caused such an uptick- reaching number one everywhere may have made you proud to be Korean.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you can see, Tdol also used the "to be" construction in the second half of the sentence. It certainly sounds more natural than trying to decide between "I was" and "I am" when trying to make that part fit the tense of the rest of the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.