• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "... said a very good line to me ..."

The 39-year-old, based in Portsmouth but originally from Halifax, West Yorkshire, said: "Early in my training a very wise senior officer who had served in the Falklands said a very good line to me, which was 'when you are out there and actually in the thick of it, in harms way, you are not doing it for your leafy cottage on the Cotswolds or your nice car on the drive. You are actually doing it because you want the respect of those around you'.
    More: Queen leads Remembrance Sunday tributes across the UK - Home News - UK - The Independent

According to the given context, does the word line mean a short letter, principle, or a piece of useful information?

Gillnetter is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "... said a very good line to me ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post

The 39-year-old, based in Portsmouth but originally from Halifax, West Yorkshire, said: "Early in my training a very wise senior officer who had served in the Falklands said a very good line to me, which was 'when you are out there and actually in the thick of it, in harms way, you are not doing it for your leafy cottage on the Cotswolds or your nice car on the drive. You are actually doing it because you want the respect of those around you'.
    More: Queen leads Remembrance Sunday tributes across the UK - Home News - UK - The Independent

According to the given context, does the word line mean a short letter, principle, or a piece of useful information?
    The text states that he said it. Here, this means that he told something of value. I suppose that you could understand it to be a piece of useful information, but it is more of a philosophical thought.