Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Finland
I need to find some formal conjunction word for this type of statements.. I put here "whereas", but I feel that there is a better word I don't know.
And if somebody found some other inaccuracies in my sentences, I'll be very thankful if you'll tell me about that and suggest a better way to say.

Holding a degree in computer science, I'm working as a secretary. (Whereas) I would have brought more benefits to my company if they would give me more opportunities.

I have an old violin, but I can play only few notes on it. (Whereas) one can expect a better fate for this instrument.

After the big snowfall our town faces significant problems with traffic. (Whereas) that could be avoided if the authorities had paid more attention to this problem.

Although there is a conservatory in our town, there is no a professional orchestra here. (Whereas) playing in orchestra would be a natural type of job for conservatory graduates.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I need to find some formal conjunction word for this type of statements.. I put here "whereas", but I feel that there is a better word I don't know.
And if somebody found some other inaccuracies in my sentences, I'll be very thankful if you'll tell me about that and suggest a better way to say.

Holding a degree in computer science, I'm working as a secretary. (Whereas) I would have brought more benefits to my company if they would give me more opportunities.

I have an old violin, but I can play only a few notes on it. (Whereas) one can expect a better fate for this instrument.

After the big snowfall our town faces significant problems with traffic. (Whereas) that could [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] have been avoided if the authorities had paid more attention to this problem.

Although there is a conservatory in our town, there is no [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] professional orchestra here. (Whereas) playing in an orchestra would be a natural type of job for conservatory graduates.

"Whereas" doesn't fit in any of your examples. The main problem is that we don't start a single clause sentence with the word. All of your examples are absolutely fine with nothing where you have put "Whereas".

quendi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Finland
Thank you for your reply!
But which word I can put there if I want more cohesion between two sentences?
Or should I make a single sentence, such as
Holding a degree in computer science, I'm working as a secretary; whereas I would have brought more benefits to my company if they would give me more opportunities.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your reply!
But which word I can put there if I want more cohesion between two sentences?
Or should I make a single sentence, such as
Holding a degree in computer science, I'm working as a secretary; whereas I would have brought more benefits to my company if they would give me more opportunities.

No, that's not natural at all.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Whereas" is not a common word. Outside of formal resolutions of government bodies or in legal paperwork, there is no use for the word.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say you should use it as a contrast word.
You'd never know they were twins. Elaine is brilliant but cold and reserved, whereas Lorraine is super friendly and charming but dumb as a pile of dirt.

quendi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Finland
Thanks to everyone, now I see indeed that this is not a good word here at all. But what could be here instead?

However,
In spite of the fact that..
or what?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hold a degree in computer science, yet I'm working as a secretary. It would have been more beneficial for my company if they had utilised my talents better.

I have an old violin, but I can play only few notes on it. (Whereas) one can expect a better fate for this instrument.
I have an old violin. I can only play a few notes on it, but it would be better if someone who could actually play owned it.

After the big snowfall our town faces significant problems with traffic. (Whereas) that could be avoided if the authorities had paid more attention to this problem.
After the heavy snowfall, our town faces significant traffic problems which could have been avoided if the authorities had planned better.

Although there is a conservatory in our town, there is no a professional orchestra here. (Whereas) playing in orchestra would be a natural type of job for conservatory graduates.
Although there is a music conservatory in our town, there is no professional orchestra. Graduates from the conservatory travel 20 miles to play in a professional orchestra, whereas graduates from London's conservatory only have to travel a mile.

In red above are my suggested rewrites of your sentences. As you can see, I have only managed to fit "whereas" into the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.