Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"We had the Parliamentary Elections. There hasn't been a level playing ground for all political parties. Pro-presidential candidates have been given preferential treatment and have been trying to rig the ballot."

Could I start with the past simple and go on with the present perfect?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"We had the Parliamentary Elections. There hasn't been a level playing ground for all political parties. Pro-presidential candidates have been given preferential treatment and have been trying to rig the ballot."

Could I start with the past simple and go on with the present perfect?

No.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How about this "While we had the Parliamentary Elections, there hasn't been a level playing ground for all political parties. Pro-presidential candidates have been given preferential treatment and have been trying to rig the ballot."?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can you please point to the mistakes in the previous post?

"While we had the Parliamentary Elections, there hasn't been a level playing ground for all political parties where pro-presidential candidates were given preferential treatment and were trying to rig the ballot."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can you please point to the mistakes in the previous post?

"While we had the Parliamentary Elections, there hasn't been a level playing ground for all political parties where pro-presidential candidates were given preferential treatment and were trying to rig the ballot."?
It's just a mixed up sentence. Were you trying to say, "When we had/were having the parliamentary elections, there wasn't a level playing field for all political parties. Pro presidential candidates were given preferential treatment and were trying to rig the ballot."?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes. That's what I was tryingto say. Could I throw in the present perfect to emphasize there wasn't a level playing ground for all political parties?

"While we had the parliamentary elections, there hasn't been a level playing field for all political parties. Pro presidential candidates were given preferential treatment and were trying to rig the ballot"?

The reason I'm asking is that I was just reading an article on Ukraine sliding away from democracy in The Washington Post while I came across the sentence "While election day was largely peaceful, there have been allegations of fraud in the voting process and tabulation".

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would that be so difficult for an native speaker to put an aswer to the quesion?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would that be so difficult for an native speaker to put an aswer to the quesion?
Faced with that sort of attitude, yes.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm not getting it! Could I get an answer?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm just guessing you've been avoiding the answer?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can you please give a clear answer? Is it so difficult to give an aswer to the question in post #?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Can you please give a clear answer?

I'm sorry but, in view of your attitude, I don't feel inclined to give you any more answers. I'm sure someone will oblige.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There've been people inclined not to be most comfortable about giving an aswer?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The fact that there wasn't a level playing field occurred during the elections, not after them. It's in the past.
In the Washington Post example, the allegations occurred after the elections and are possibly still ongoing.
So, the examples are different.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I guess "while" in the above sentence wouldn't refer to something happening prior the elections. It would sooner refer to simultanious action as in "While electionday......, there's been....."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
" Not to mention that former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko and Yuri Lutsenko, two prominent opposition political leaders, have been imprisoned following trials that were widely criticized as politically motivated. While election day was largely peaceful, there have been allegations of fraud in the voting process and tabulation."

I guess "while" would be refering to simultaneous action in the past? It doesn't say that allegations were after election day.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
" Not to mention that former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko and Yuri Lutsenko, two prominent opposition political leaders, have been imprisoned following trials that were widely criticized as politically motivated. While election day was largely peaceful, there have been allegations of fraud in the voting process and tabulation."

I guess "while" would be referring to simultaneous action in the past? It doesn't say that allegations were after election day.

while conjunction (ALTHOUGH) - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

Status
Not open for further replies.