English
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
FIRST QUESTION
It has been a busy weekend.
It had been a busy weekend.

What are the differences between this two sentences?

SECOND QUESTION

Finally, I had the time to read the book which you had lent to me earlier. (I read the book last week and I'm saying the foregoing sentence to a guy whom lent me a book last week.)

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first sentence is dealing in the present and in the first person. It can either stand by itself, or be the prelude to something else in the present or the future; for example, "It has been a busy weekend, but I am feeling very well rested".
The first sentence deals with the past, and not in the first person. It would not normally stand by itself, but would normally be the prelude to something else in the past; for example, "It had been a busy weekend, and Jack was exhausted".

You haven't actually asked a Second Question,but I would express the sentence as "Finally, I had the time to read the book which you [STRIKE]had [/STRIKE]lent [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] me earlier".

mr alfred

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
THANKS A LOT GRUMPY....SO IF IM USING HAS BEEN, IT MEANS THE WEEKEND DOES NOT END YET?[DOES IT MEAN I MUST SAY IT ON SAT OR SUN? (THE SAME WEEKEND)]
BUT IF IM USING HAD BEEN, I MUST SAY IT AFTER SAT & SUN? AND WE CANT USE IT IN THE FIRST PERSON? EXP:
It had been a busy weekend, so I had no time to go to Jen's wedding dinner.

I HAVE ANOTHER THING TO ASK YOU, USUALLY WE WILL SAY THANKS FOR THE DRINK OR THANKS FOR THE DRINKS? (AFTER SOMEONE HAS BOUGHT AND TREATED YOU A CUP OF TEA)

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
THANKS A LOT GRUMPY....SO IF IM USING HAS BEEN, IT MEANS THE WEEKEND DOES NOT END YET? MAYBE IM SAYING IT ON SAT OR SUN?BUT IF IM USING HAD BEEN, I MUST BE SAYING IT AFTER SAT & SUN?

I HAVE ANOTHER THING TO ASK YOU, USUALLY WE WILL SAY THANKS FOR THE DRINK OR THANKS FOR THE DRINKS? (AFTER SOMEONE HAS BOUGHT AND TREATED YOU A CUP OF TEA)

Please do not post all the words in capital letters - it's the online equivalent of shouting.

Last edited:

mr alfred

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Has been" is suitable toward the end of the weekend, but before it's over. Say, Sunday evening.
On Saturday night you could say "It's been a busy weekend so far."

Please start a new thread for the question you asked in post #3. Threads get very confusing when multiple, unrelated questions are asked.

mr alfred

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Noted. Thanks a lot Barb_D. I will start a new thread for the new question.

Status
Not open for further replies.