Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I feel it difficult to trancsribe a script. Is there a simple way of doing so?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I feel it difficult to transcribe a script. Is there a simple way of doing so?

Welcome to the forums, cyma. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, can you make it clearer?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you trying to transcribe the script of a TV show or a film? If so, there is no easy way of doing so if you are doing it from scratch. You simply have to listen to every line and every word, stop the recording at regular intervals, type the words you just heard and then move on. Very few people (if any) can listen and type simultaneously, and transcribe any recorded words without hitting the "Pause" button regularly.

cyma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I am studying phonology. And there I have to transribe words( as we have just started we are given words not scripts) so want to know how to make it easier for new students like me

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, OK, I did not understand correctly what it is you are trying to do. I don't do phonology or phonetics so I can't help you there, I'm afraid.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am studying phonology. And there I have to transribe words( as we have just started we are given words not scripts) so want to know how to make it easier for new students like me
You just need a chart of English phonemes, such as this. Practise, practise and practise again. There is no short cut or easy way.

Actually, you'll find that it doesn't take more than a couple of hours or so before you become familiar with the symbols. After all, you already know about half of them.

Srisai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I feel it difficult to trancsribe a script. Is there a simple way of doing so?

You can try this. It gives you enough time to do the transcription.
I was looking for a transcription company that allows me to work from home. At last I found a company that not only allowed me to work from home but also to select files on my own and reject them if the audio quality is poor. They are so flexible but they pay me promptly. Now I can do transcription from home and whenever I feel to do. You can find it athttp://www.kushinav.com. Find the link at the right column of the http://www.kushinav.com website.

*** Note: When you are registering with them please use my email id in the referral column (srisaikrish@yahoo.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.