English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone,

Could anybody help me interpret the underlined part? This is a passage from An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser.
Thank you.

And then he was introduced to Zella Shuman and Rita Dickerman, who, for reasons of their own, not the least among which was a desire to appear a little wise and more sophisticated than the others here, came a little late. And it was true, as Clyde was to find out afterwards, that they were different, too―less simple and restricted than quite all of the girls whom Dillard had thus far introduced him to. They were not as sound religiously and morally as were these others. And as even Clyde noted on meeting them, they were as keen for as close an approach to pagan pleasure without admitting it to themselves, as it was possible to be and not be marked for what they were.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They wanted to do things that would be considered "sinful" according to a conservative religious standard - probably drink and have sex. They got "close to doing these things" but didn't actually do them. Or perhaps they drank and kissed with mad abandon, but didn't have intercourse.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The girls enjoyed the pleasures of the flesh, but not beyond the limit where they would be tagged as "loose" or "impure."

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your appropriate interpretation. But didn't you think the usage of "as" in "as keen for as close an approach" a little strange?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your appropriate interpretation. But didn't you think the usage of "as" in "as keen for as close an approach" a little strange?
It's certainly not everyday informal language, but it's fine - though it reads better without the final comma, in my opinion.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"... they were as keen for as close an approach to pagan pleasure without admitting it to themselves, as it was possible to be ..."
I find one of them a little strange, but I'm not sure which one. (Nor do you say which is bothering you).
Does it mean "as keen ... as it was possible to be" or "... as close ... as it was possible to be"?
Is the limitation on them being marked for what they were the keenness they displayed, or the closeness of the approach?
I think one of the first two "as" should go.
"They were as keen for a close approach as it was possible to be."; "They were keen for as close an approach as it was possible to be".
The first makes more sense grammatically, to me.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks! You are right. One of the first two "as" should go. But I would rather leave the second one. That would sound more sensual.

Status
Not open for further replies.