Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
It's my first time teaching Grammar & I sometimes get confused..

But can someone answer me what's the difference between the personal pronouns and the possessive adjectives?
I know the meaning is different, But I want a detailed explanation with forms..

Please I have it next class & I want my students to understand it...:roll::roll:

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Possessive: my, mine, our(s), his, her(s), its, their(s)
Personal Pronoun: I, me, we, us, he, she, him, her, it, they, them

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, MastersSara. :hi:

You'll find the labelling here rather confusing, as there is no general agreement. Depending on where you look, 'my', for example, may be described as a possessive, possessive adjective, determiner, possessive determiner or even possessive pronoun.

Are you using a coursebook or particular grammar or dictionary with your classes? If so, go with the labels used there. Unless you are working with a syllabus that insists on learners being able to label parts of speech, there is no need for you to go into great detail.

My own suggestion (others may disagree), if you have no set books, is that it does no harm to label those words that stand in place of a noun as pronouns: I, me (the speaker), we, us (the speaker and one or more others), you (the person/people spoken to), it, they, them (the person/people or thing spoken about). Label those words that denote possession in some form possessives: my, mine, your, yours, his, her, hers, its, our, ours, their, theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.