Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is the writer trying to imply "garage" is a place to stack stuff in? Is so, why didn't he use "attic" or something else?

mo1-34)A funny thing happens to most of our stuff almost immediately after we buy it. What we paid for in the store and brought home was a treasure, a stylish dress, or the latest cell phone. But once it belongs to us and takes up space inside our home, the stuff starts losing value. “Our houses are basically garbage processing centers,” said one cynical comedian. As soon as stuff enters our homes, it begins the transformation. We get something and it starts out prominently displayed, then gets moved onto a shelf, then stuffed in a closet, then thrown in a box in the garage and held there until it becomes garbage. I definitely think the words ‘garage’ and ‘garbage’ must be related.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Your question: Is the writer trying to imply "garage" is a place to stack stuff in? Is so, why didn't he use "attic" or something else?
Yes, he is saying the garage is a place that we CAN stack stuff in (not everyone does, though), and he could have used another word like attic, but then it would lose the humor, where garage and garbage sound similar, and the garage is one more step in the sequence to changing into garbage, and perhaps, he implies, a natural step in the sequence.

Does this help?

Sincerely,
-Les

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
After I posted, I realized some pun was intended. Yes, it helps. Thanks a lot!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After I posted, I realized some pun was intended. Yes, it helps. Thanks a lot!!!

These were the last words of your post: "I definitely think the words ‘garage’ and ‘garbage’must be related." Did you write those words as part of your question or did the writer make them the final sentence of his/her piece?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It's not mine, but the writer's. I didn't make it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.