Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Hi, everyone!

I've come acroos a question while I was preparing for a test.

(A) A : Do you want me to put back this book on the shelf?
(B) B : No. Just leave it on this table.
(C) A : Are you sure? I can do it for you.
(D)B : It's OK. I can do it myself.

As you see, I chose the (d) marked bold. Frankly I didn't think (D) is wrong, but I couldn't find out any possible wrong spot in the other lines. So I just think to myself it should have included 'by' so it should be by myself, not myself. However, much to my surprise, the answer sheet pointed at (A), which is supposed to contain a wrong part in itself. To me the setence (A) looks perfect. Is there an error in it? Is it related to the word order of 'back' in the phrase 'put this book back' vs 'put back this book'? Could you help me, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Japan
Hi,
I found A wrong right away.
Do you want me to put back this book on the shelf?
It should be:
Do you want me to put this book back on the shelf?
I just looked for the phrasal verb put back on this site, and it suggests that the verb is separable, with a question mark beside it. i clicked on the question mark and a new window came up, and in particular, about separable, it said:
Separable verbs With some separable verbs, the object must come between the verb and the particle: The quality of their work sets them apart from their rivals.
so this is a case where the object must come between the verb and particle. Otherwise it is wrong (and to me it also really sounds wrong, too).
Does this help?
Sincerely,
-Les

youngbut

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for your answer, Englishlisteningworld.^^
Your advice has helped me a lot.

Will you put back/away the book after you complete the homework?

In this case, the order of 'put back + the book' could be possible. But as with the example you gave me " The quality of their work sets them apart from their rivals." if there is some words like 'from their rivals' that relate to meaning of place, I should put the particle close to the place word. Am I right?
"Do you want me to put back this book on the shelf?", this sentence also looks the same thing to me.

But what I still wonder is whether I can say 'Will you put the book back after you complete the homework?. Does this sentence sound natural to you? I'm sorry to bring out more questions but... to me evething in English is questions. :oops::oops::oops:

Thank you again

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

youngbut